2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Help !!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 PM
adrenalinejunki
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help !!!!

Alright i just went and bought my truck and on the way home everything was going fine, then all of a sudden the oil pressure went from normal operating pressure to zero and my check gauges light came on, so i shut the truck off and restarted it and it was fine for about 5 min then it happened again. then the truck started to overheat so i stopped and pulled over for a few minuted and it was fine the rest of the way but i am curious to know wats going on? new water pump, thermostat and fluid.
Its a 99 3.9 v6

Please help,

Any common problem with this model?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

or the oil pump!

thats what my old silverado did.....jumped from 65psi to 30 for 10 or 20 miles and then just went to 0...i shut it off adn let it kool for a little bit and then a week later i melted a cylinder to the block....good luck!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:42 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it back

Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudPedal45
or the oil pump!

thats what my old silverado did.....jumped from 65psi to 30 for 10 or 20 miles and then just went to 0...i shut it off adn let it kool for a little bit and then a week later i melted a cylinder to the block....good luck!
that's my nomination. check the fluid level/color...but i'm gonna bet a clogged or failed oil pump or possibly filter.

Like wink said, take it back where you got it (esp if a dealer) and tell them about it. IDK bout my truck, but when we bought my mom's firebird used, the dealer (bankston nissan) gave us a 100 mile waranty.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:04 PM
metalsrfr
Veteran

I would deffinatley take it back if it is a dealer. when i bought my truck a week after i bought the brakes locked up and wouldnt release the chevy dealership I bought it at paid for the whole brake system to be replaced.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 PM
big.bryant
Champion

Get them to fix it... whatever you do, just get it fixed, doesn't sound like something that should be happening.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 PM
2daks
Professional

Sounds like the oil pump. Theres a problem with the 3.9 engine and sludge build up in the engine passages that causes the oil pressure guage to stay low on start up but I'm not sure what happens later on as the sludge builds up. I think it gets real bad in the end. Can't remember if it was here or a Tech notice on it. Either way take it back and let them fix it. If it's a private owner and your on your own I'd try a engine flush and then the pump.

Search this Thread