2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

looking at a 03 slt quad cab..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:17 PM
big.bryant
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he is using NADA or edumunds which are always higher than KBB... he is full of crap, offer him 12 and keep looking. Don't get me wrong, its a nice truck but just not worth that kind of money in this economy. As Bpark said, these trucks are a dime a dozen especially if you aren't looking for too specific models and options.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:15 AM
billy_666

Originally Posted by bpark8824
I guess we all are telling how much we paid so...

97k miles, immaculate condition, 6k out the door.

But to the OP 14 is way high since it has 67k. 11 or 12 max, especially with this economy. They can't sell $hit especially with a price tag like that.
I find it hard to pay much more than this one: http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/1112418581.html
Its 45 miles away and pretty close to the dealers specs.. its also 6500$ cheaper...

Old 04-17-2009, 07:43 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a better deal. A few more miles and the price is almost cut in half, you can tell the first guy was just trying to make a dime off you.

A better deal, but make sure if you go and look at it you go through that thing with a fine tooth comb. There is a list on one of the stickys of what to look for.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:32 PM
CluelessinMO

Billy 666, that truck is loaded up, and so the price is being jacked up as well. If you can get along without some of the extras like leather and Infinity, you can do better. "Ya pays yur money, ya takes yur choice", as they say.
I just bought an '04 quad SLT Plus with 21K miles for $11,500 three weeks ago, and it still has 2 yrs and 50K left on the powertrain warranty, plus I got a Dodge bumper to bumper warranty the owner had bought, as well. Had to look for months before I fell into that deal. Maybe not the deal of the century, but I thought it was pretty good.
However, that said, my truck might not be what you want. It's a 2WD, no bedliner, no Infinity, but very well equipped otherwise, including tow pkg, V-8, 5 spd automatic, anti slip 3.55 rear end, sliding rear window, overhead console, auto dimming rear view mirror, heated outside mirrors, CD changer capability on radio, power everything except for some reason, no power seat. The guy who sold it to me babied it, changing oil every 3 months regardless of mileage (as you might guess, with only 21K in 5 yrs, it sometimes got changed at less than 2,000 miles). Love it. Power is great, mileage is over 21 on the road if you don't drive like a maniac.

Last edited by CluelessinMO; 04-17-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:21 AM
billy_666

Originally Posted by CluelessinMO
Billy 666, that truck is loaded up, and so the price is being jacked up as well. If you can get along without some of the extras like leather and Infinity, you can do better. "Ya pays yur money, ya takes yur choice", as they say.
I just bought an '04 quad SLT Plus with 21K miles for $11,500 three weeks ago, and it still has 2 yrs and 50K left on the powertrain warranty, plus I got a Dodge bumper to bumper warranty the owner had bought, as well. Had to look for months before I fell into that deal. Maybe not the deal of the century, but I thought it was pretty good.
However, that said, my truck might not be what you want. It's a 2WD, no bedliner, no Infinity, but very well equipped otherwise, including tow pkg, V-8, 5 spd automatic, anti slip 3.55 rear end, sliding rear window, overhead console, auto dimming rear view mirror, heated outside mirrors, CD changer capability on radio, power everything except for some reason, no power seat. The guy who sold it to me babied it, changing oil every 3 months regardless of mileage (as you might guess, with only 21K in 5 yrs, it sometimes got changed at less than 2,000 miles). Love it. Power is great, mileage is over 21 on the road if you don't drive like a maniac.

I am supposed to go see it it this weekend.. My top budget is 11ish...I emailed him the sticky on this page and his head tech (of the famous 140 pt inspection fame) said it was all good to go..We will see..

Old 04-20-2009, 04:42 AM
billy_666

Originally Posted by billy_666
I am supposed to go see it it this weekend.. My top budget is 11ish...I emailed him the sticky on this page and his head tech (of the famous 140 pt inspection fame) said it was all good to go..We will see..
Guess what, I got jerked around by a used car salesman.. I went and checked it out , took it for a test drive and everything.. Got back and talked turkey.
He had made me feel that he could work in my price range..
Well he wasn't budging on his 13.9k price.. So I bailed..
jerks..

btw, does the dakota come with a sun roof in any models?

Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 AM
bpark8824
Champion

i hate salesmen just for that reason. One time I went to look at a truck. I KBB'ed it and it came up to be around 8k which was my price rage. The salesmen asked me what I thought it was worth so I told him I would pay KBB on it, 8k. He said well im glad you looked it up but we are charging 13k for this one. I was like see yaaaa. What a joke.

And no sunroof was availible, I wish.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Dakota_SuperChips
Rookie

If you haven't bought it yet....I also have an '03 Dak SLT QC with leather and infinity sound system. I've had mine for about 3 yrs. Mine was 3 yrs. old when I bought it I only gave $13K for mine and it was also imaculate. The only difference in mine is it's not 4X4. $13K now for a 2003 is way too much. It doesn't matter what all he did to it. If he machined the rotors instead of replacing them all he did was shorten the life of the rotors. And unless he put synthetic oil back in everything he changed he hasn't done anything special. I would tell him if he wants to sell the truck he will come to your price, if not, walk away. If wants to sell it bad enough he'll nreak.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:52 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by billy_666
Guess what, I got jerked around by a used car salesman.. I went and checked it out , took it for a test drive and everything.. Got back and talked turkey.
He had made me feel that he could work in my price range..
Well he wasn't budging on his 13.9k price.. So I bailed..
jerks..

btw, does the dakota come with a sun roof in any models?
I hate dealers they always try to rip you off I bought my truck from a small deraler but he was very reasonable and I knew that I wouldnt find a truck like this for that price. my dad used to have a 01 jeep grand cherokee it was loaded with everything that year could come with we were the only owner it had 135,000miles on it. dealer was going to give us 3,000 for it we said kbb has it at just above 8,000 we sold it privately 2 weeks later for 7,700.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 PM
bpark8824
Champion

I bought my truck from a very good salesmen. It was listed at kbb price, he gave me the keys and said I'll be around let me know what you think. He didn't try making it sound amazing oh its got this and that. He just said heres the keys let me look it over, drive it, and thats how it should be. As I was signing the papers another person came in and bought a suv from him. It proves that if your not a douche and just let people be it works better than getting all in their face and charging way to much.

Quick Reply: looking at a 03 slt quad cab..