2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Hard start with Fuel Pump #2

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:50 AM
dskup
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard start with Fuel Pump #2

Hi all.

I have a 2001 4.7L quad cab. Last fall I had enough of the "turn the key several times" trick to get the fuel pressure up, and I paid a shop to replace the fuel delivery module (pump, filter, regulator assembly in the tank.) The problem got 90% better, though I still needed to wait ten seconds or so for the fuel to prime. It would not start at first turn of the key. Well, here I am a few months later and the problem is coming back. Hard start, as if it is not getting fuel. Sometimes it will slowing chug up to an idling rpm at first turn of the key, but more often I have to prime is several times. Seems to be worse when the engine is warm, but when its been sitting long enough for the pressure to bleed off. Last week it started throwing the ol' P0442 and P0455 codes. I found numerous cracked hoses- at the service port, the canister, etc... fixed them, and the codes went away. But the starting problem is still there. The replacement pump is an OEM model. So what I'm wondering is:

1) Am I barking up the wrong tree? Could there be something else wrong to begin with?
2) What are the odds that a new OEM pump develops the same problem months after installation?
3) I paid a lot for labor, and a premium for the part- marked up even higher than dealership retail (which I know is common practice). So do I have some warranty rights here?

Any other ideas out there? It runs great after it's started. New plugs, battery is strong.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:42 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel - pressure regulator,..
Pull the vac-hose off, crank the truck over,
Smell the regulator & look to see if it's wet with gas.
If it is,.. The diafram (sp)? has failed causing the pressure
to drop and your loosing your prime. = Hard-start.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 AM
dskup

Thanks for the reply JB. But my understanding is that the regulator is in the gas tank, part of the overall "fuel delivery module." It was already replaced in December. So what I'm asking is if there are any other ideas besides a repeat of the same problem I had in December. Seems unlikely (though not impossible) that the regulator would fail so quickly on the new pump.
But I'm taking in to the shop tomorrow. So any guesses out there as to what the problem is?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:29 PM
rezonator
Professional

had sombody with the same symptoms in a ram with 4.7

same as you went through 2 pumps, changed this and that and finaly found that the injectors were leaking and loosing prime

hopfuly this helps!!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 AM
dskup

Interesting. I will definitely ask the tech about that.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 PM
dskup

Got it back from the shop. They said the fuel pump is working fine, and the pressure is coming right up when the key is turned. They think it might be the TPS sensor, or the Intake Air Temp sensor. Does anyone know if either of these could cause hard starting? The truck runs fine once it chugs up to idle.

Quick Reply: Hard start with Fuel Pump #2