2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Qyestions about changing a power steering pump

Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 AM
HEGEMONIAN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Qyestions about changing a power steering pump

I have a '99 Dodge Dakota, 4 wheel drive, 4 cyl 2.5L.

Power steering pump had been leaking fluid for awhile. Stalling off the repair I kept refilling the fluid as needed. This morning it began making a horrendous clicking sound when attempting to turn the wheel. I'm looking to change out the pump myself and looking for some knowledge from the more experienced.

My only real issue seems to be the pulley. I believe I have to remove the pulley to get to the mounting bolts for the pump/resovoir. Looking at the center attachment point of the pulley, it looks like an Allen head insert there, with a deeper recess with internal threads.

1. Can I get that pulley off with just an allen wrench, or do I need a more specific pulley removal tool?

2. If I can get it with an allen wrench, from doing my own brakes I believe everything on here is metric. Does anyone know the size of that wrench, and is it reverse threaded or standard? I don't want to be trying to force it in the wrong direction.

Please and Thank you.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:38 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HEGEMONIAN
1. Can I get that pulley off with just an allen wrench, or do I need a more specific pulley removal tool?
No. Don't try to use an Allen wrench. The pulley is pressed on. (I did a PS pump a few weeks ago)
You must use a puller to remove the pulley, and must use a puller to reinstall the pulley.
I used the loan-a-tool PS pump puller from AutoZone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Qyestions about changing a power steering pump