2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Heater core issue -- FROM HELL !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:18 PM
jnicola
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater core issue -- FROM HELL !!!!!!

Hey everyone,

This will show as my first post but I couldn't remember the password to my old account and couldn't be bothered digging it up. So I started this one with a password and name I'll always use.

Anyways, I've got one heck of a headache on my hands. It's such a pain, and working on this has been such a headache I'm almost hoping it blows up and I can collect the insurance on it.

The whole story goes:

I bought the truck two summers ago used, and it needed some work. I put a bunch of time into it though, and got it for the most part back to perfect. The low milage I was getting though was driving me up a tree, and I wasn't happy with it. I read on here that the plenum gasket commonly goes, and when I took a look down the throttle body into the intake manifold, it was practically black with buildup.

I made the deciscion to clean it out. Since I don't have a garage I went to my good friend Johnathans. Johnathan helped me, but when we went to put the intake manifold back on, his ****ing bright idea was to use the gasket and TONS OF RTV SEALANT. In hindsight I wouldn't do this again. Anyways, we did this, and let it sit for ONLY AN HOUR (I'd never used it, Johnathan gave me bad advice) and I took off.

As best as I can tell that was the first thing of significance to occur before the heatercore issues began. It's also what I beleive is the culprit for all my current problems.

From there the heater progressively delivered less and less warm air, which I related to switching to a 180 degree thermostat. No big deal I figured, a slightly cooler heater for some power, whatever I'll survive. Then it barely delivers heat, and from there it ****ing stinks up my car, and finally gurgles coolant all over my girlfriends feet.

I went to drain the coolant system, and oh hey my radiator drain is clogged and doesn't work. So I pulled the bottom hose from the radiator and dumped it that way. I drained the whole system, changed the heater core (a massive undertaking and a huge headache and fiasco), and then didn't even hook the new one up right away. I bypassed it using a piece of hose, and then went and got the whole system mechanically flushed. I then yet again dumped the coolant, hooked up the heater core, and started going.

So here I am yet again with the damn thing dumping coolant into the heater AC housing, which thankfully is dumping outside the car instead of inside the car.

So I'm stumped. What should I do? Am I really just so screwed that I need to pull the intake manifold, redo it, redo the radiator, redo the heater core yet again, and hope that it doesn't clog yet again?

I'm seriously stumped and this vehicle is proving to be a major headache.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:58 AM
huseman808
Captain

Originally Posted by jnicola
So I'm stumped. What should I do? Am I really just so screwed that I need to pull the intake manifold, redo it, redo the radiator, redo the heater core yet again, and hope that it doesn't clog yet again?
+1^^^^

Old 05-12-2009, 05:00 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by huseman808
+1^^^^
x2 <('_')>

Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Pull the manifold and install it the correct way. While it's out redo the T-stat and replace the neck if needed.

Flush the system again.

Pull the heater core again because you either installed it and it had a small hole, bad fold or weld, or you pinched it. Take some pictures of the inside box to see if we can possible cut the fire wall to get it out and place a panel over the hole.....Well I just want to know that one.... I want to do a DIY if I can get some really good pictures looking into the heater core box. Also grab the dementions of the box.

Have a company flush just the radiator if you can.

Re-install everything and you should be fine. Make sure you only use distilled water and good antifreeze on refill. Could have been something in the water not to mention you don't want to have the minerals in the motor.

Quick Reply: Heater core issue -- FROM HELL !!!!!!