2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Can't program remote for 2002 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
austinws6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't program remote for 2002 Dakota

I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota, I had 2 working remotes. One of the buttons came off, so I bought a new remote and went to have it programmed at a locksmith and she ended up messing it up. Now none of the remotes work. Had someone else hook it up to a programmer and got this code:

BCM AN DN 01

Does anyone know what this means? I tried programming them myself before she tried it and I got it into programming mode but it would never finish up.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Old 06-08-2009, 06:47 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The only way to program a new OE keyless entry remote is with the DRB scan tool at the Dodge dealership. Unless the locksmith has the DRB, she won't be able to program the remote. You have to use the DRB to communicate with the Central Timer Module so it can learn the new remote. I have no idea what your BCM code means, other than the "BCM" part probably means Body Contol Module. BCM is another name for the Central Timer Module. Dodge calls it a CTM. Something probably was cleared or reset in the keyless entry part of the CTM when the locksmith tried to program the remotes. At the Dodge dealer it should be an hour's labor to correct it, or less depending on how badly the keyless entry and remotes are out of whack.

If the dealer charges too much to program the system, you could get an aftermarket keyless entry for around $100 to $120 installed, depending on prices where you live. If you are familiar with relays, resistors and diodes you can pick one up for about half that price and do it yourself, if you can find a shop that will sell the system without installation. You ought to be able to get a full blown alarm installed for about $200 to $250 installed. Whether you get a new keyless or a new alarm, Directed Electronics (Viper, Python, Sidewinder) is the best that you can get.

Let us know how it turns out, and Welcome to the Forum. There are some good guys here.

Jimmy

Old 06-15-2009, 12:45 PM
austinws6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does that BCM/CTM do anything else besides controlling the remote controls, locks, and alarm? If that is all it controls then I'm thinking about just getting a new alarm instead.

The dealer says that is what is wrong with it, but the truck runs perfectly fine.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:52 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The CTM contains the circuitry and relays for the keyless entry system. It also controls a lot of other functions. The lights, horn, blinkers, dash lights, interior lights, power locks and windows, nearly every electrical function in the truck runs through or is controlled by the CTM.

If your keyless is all that is not working, and the electric door locks still work from the buttons on the doors, then you should be able to have a basic alarm with door lock interface installed, depending on where you live and the pricing in your area.

If all you need is the keyless entry, you can also get just an aftermarket stand-alone keyless entry system for around $100 to $125 installed depending on where you live. Whether you get a keyless entry or alarm, Directed Electronics (Viper, Python, Sidewinder) are the very best you can buy. They work great, have good pricing and most importantly they last forever as long as they are installed correctly. Check out www.directed.com for info and to find a shop in your area.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Can't program remote for 2002 Dakota