2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cranking up the tortion bars on the front end.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 02:39 PM
lep1450
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranking up the tortion bars on the front end.

I have heard so many different things in my area about this subject. I have a 3 inch Rancho leveling kit with 285's on my 02 quad and would like to get about 1 more inch out of the front end. I would just like to know if there are any down falls to doing so.
Going along with this I am concerned about taking mine in to the dealer for the ball joint replacement do to the fact of them messing with my lift. Any thoughts? Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/13875/DA75501902474033957D0809390D4C09.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-20-2005, 04:31 PM
reconstrucktion
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cranking up the tortion bars on the front end.

My friend has on 04 frontier and he wants to do the same thing with the torsion bars. . . I would not i dont know where but i heard that if you mess with those it messes the camber or what not. But frontier did it and nothing happened so. . . i guess what i heard was wrong.

01 dakota under construction

Old 03-20-2005, 10:46 PM
UrbanRedneck

When you do that you loose some suspension travel and it changes the alignment slightly, but I highly doubt you will have any negative consequences if you only go up an inch or so. The alignment will barely be affected, and the bar has more articulation in it than the rest of the suspension allows anyway. Does that Rancho leveling kit replace toe torsion bar keys or does it crank them up a little? If it doesnt crannk the bars up I'd say you'd be fine. I know a lot of guys that do it on their Explorers.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:37 PM
ASECERT

what happens when you adjust the torsion is the camber goes out of spec. I f you only adjust a little you probably won't see much difference visually, but you will see abnormal tire wear over a period of time. you also change the spring rate with torsion bar adjustments which changes the stiffness of the suspension. when lifting, it gets tighter which is normal with most lifts. You also have to think about the possibility of overstressing the torsion bar which can leave you in very precarious situation while offroading if it should break. this doesnt happen very often, but it has happened. I would look for suspension components which give you the lift, but maintain your alignment and spring rate intact.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:46 PM
dodgeman22657

Was wondering what you paid for the leveling kit from rancho would love to get er done to my truck

Old 03-27-2005, 02:30 PM
BlueDak
Rookie

The max lift you can get from the adjustment is 3/4", otherwise you start impacting ride quality, hitting a cig. butt will feel like hitting a speed bump. Also, there is a limited amount of travel adjustment. I have 3/4" adjustment on mine ('00 Q-Cab AWD), the suspension is definetly tighter, you do feel bumps more.

Quick Reply: Cranking up the tortion bars on the front end.