2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota Towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:40 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Work as a contractor for a company that does animal parties, we do like petting zoos and pony rides. I pull a 16 ft. stock trailer on weekends and am very impressed. My load usually includes about 15 goats, sheep, llamas, tortoises, rabbits, chickens, calfs, fawns, wallabies usually a pony. Ive had numerous people makes comments who have rode with me in my truck while pulling. The ride is very smooth compared to larger trucks pulling the same load. Of course stopping was an issue for me, sliding through 1 intersection which had sand on the road was all it took for me to get a trailer brake controller. Thankfully Dodge saw fit to pre-wire our trucks. I stay on top of my maintenance and such, treat your dak right and she'll treat you right. Ive pulled 20 ft low-boys stacked with about 75 bails of hay, which weight about 60 pounds each, and my truck has pulled it amazingly well. The 4.7 has what it takes, but the brakes do leave a little to be desired. overall I am very pleased with my Dakota

Old 08-07-2009, 01:46 AM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Brakes seem to be one of the biggest problems when it comes to towing with the Dak. I'll probably try to find the biggest slotted/drilled rotors/calipers I can find.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:06 AM
big.bryant
Champion

Originally Posted by MadisonDakota
Brakes seem to be one of the biggest problems when it comes to towing with the Dak. I'll probably try to find the biggest slotted/drilled rotors/calipers I can find.
I've got a set of those... make a huge difference

Old 08-15-2009, 07:27 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by big.bryant
I've got a set of those... make a huge difference
I'm not sure if you're serious.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:48 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

He most likely is. Slotted, drilled rotors and a good set of pads can really make a world of difference. They don't get as hot, which is the major leader is brake fade, which is very common when towing. They also are great when wet, as the holes and slots get rid of water faster, and don't require drying so to speak.

I'm actually going to look into getting them when I need brakes again. For now I just picked up some regular rotors and towing pads. They are some sort of ceramic/semi-metallic mix or something... Dusty as hell for the first week, now, they are good and quiet and less dust than normal Semi-met's.

Quick Reply: Dakota Towing