2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 07:06 PM
DeadlyDakota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels

I am about to purchase a set of Helo 16x8 Maxx 6 wheels that will fit my Dakota but I haven't heard of this brand before. I like the way they look but looks aren't everything. Anyone with any info on this brand of wheels, I would really appreciate some info on them....ie: bad or good experiences with them? Thanks to all who can help.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:25 PM
reconstrucktion
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wheels

I love the Helo wheels I was going to put the helo black maxx wheels on my dakota. Ive seen alot of trucks with no-namers that look exactly like the helos. Before i was going to buy them i asked everyone and not one person knew anything about a brand called helo wheels. if you go to www.thewheelconnection.com and look for them they give you like a biography on the company. i recommened you go there.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:40 PM
DeadlyDakota
Rookie

OK well first of all I just got off the phone with Wheel Pros, maker of Helo wheels, and they told me that the Helo Maxx 6 will not fit the 2004 Dakota. I went to that site you posted and they had the wrong information on their website stating the they do fit. I emailed thewheelconnection.com about this and I doubt they will get back to me. Anyways, I did find out however, that the only wheels Helo makes to fit the Dakota are the Specs and the Explodes. I will be purchasing the latter of the two for my truck.

The bad thing is now I have to buy tires for them too. The guy at Wheel Pros told me to measure with the wheel turned all the way to see how much more room I have to work with. He also reccomended the 285/60/R18 (32.8") tires for these rims. He said I may have to get a leveling kits for my Dakota to help an all-terrain tire fit under the fenders. He reccomended a 2" leveling kit that some dealers infact put them on. He told me that he was in Dallas and there they take factory orginal Rams and Dakotas, lift 'em, put nice rims and big tires on them, then put them on the lots for sale with warranties. He said he never heard of anyone getting their warranty voided because of a lift kit.

Which will lead to my next question. Does anyone know if "Leveling" or "Lifting" my 2004 Dakota will void my warranty? I will be researching into this leveling kit and I may even ask Dodge themselves in an email. Just figured I would ask here first to see if anyone knows before I get an answer from Dodge? Thanks for all of your help and I look forward to getting some answers on this topic too.

IF YA CAN'T DODGE 'EM, RAM 'EM!

Old 03-29-2005, 11:14 AM
reconstrucktion
Veteran

Sorry i couldnt have been to better advice, I knew the black maxx didnt fit but i wasnt sure that the 6 woludnt. so you have your rims picked out ?

Old 03-31-2005, 08:13 PM
DeadlyDakota
Rookie

Ya its ok about the bad info but I have chosen a company that makes wheels in the sizes for Dakotas. Its a company called MB Motoring/Offroad. They have lots of wheels in the 6x4.5 or 6x114.3 lug pattern. I think I am going to go to the 17". Right now my only issue is find the right back spacing. The stock wheels are 38mm and the wheels I am looking at now are 25 but are hard to find. I have a company looking for them and I am waiting on their email back to me. The company is www.discounttiredirect.com and I talked to them on the phone about my issues. My whole problem is trying to stick with the All Terrains or Mud Terrains and not the "ME TOO" street performance tires. ( ya know, hey you go those bad *** super wide , super low profile tires? Ya, ME TOO) LOL Just trying to be a little bit different I guess. Check out their site though, its pretty good. They are listed on the Better Business Bureau website and have the best listing I could find about an online dealer. They even have a tire measurer that you can type in your current size and then another size of your choice to see the differences between the two. I will let you know when I get them and I will post some pics....

Old 04-01-2005, 11:33 PM
reconstrucktion
Veteran

MB motoring What a coincidence sp? anyways mb motoring sells the seena. I love those im thinking about buying them. . . What the hell does offset mean by the way?

Old 04-03-2005, 03:44 AM
DeadlyDakota
Rookie

ORIGINAL: reconstrucktion

MB motoring What a coincidence sp? anyways mb motoring sells the seena. I love those im thinking about buying them. . . What the hell does offset mean by the way?
LOL Offset is that distance your hub placement will be from the rims midline. It dramatically effects the size of tires you will be able to fit on the Dakotas. I was going to go with some wheels that had a low numbered offset(5) and found out that I would not be able to keep the suspension stock and run bigger offroad tires. You see, when the number gets lower it shifts the inside of the tire, by the frame, in towards the frame and creates rub. The wheel I am going with has a 25mm offset which should be fine since the stocks are 38mm. I am gonna try to go with a set of either 275/70R17's or 285/70R17's. I just have to find out, once the rain quits around here, how close my present 265/70R16's are when I have the wheel fully turned. In other words I will have to measure the distance from the inside of the tire to the frame or anyother spot that may come close to rubbing. Here is a link that explains the offset and its where I learned how to figure it all out.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.jsp

Old 04-03-2005, 06:00 PM
reconstrucktion
Veteran

Well the wheels I want I believe have an offset of 30. I hope those work. I'm not worried about it yet. Thanks for the info. I first have to worry about brakes then i'll start bitching about wheels. . .

Old 04-03-2005, 08:40 PM
DeadlyDakota
Rookie

LOL you will be fine with the 30mm offset. Not much difference than stock wheels. Post some pics, I would love to see how everything comes out.

Quick Reply: Wheels