2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

moaning continues... so weak

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005 | 02:30 AM
Wilderness
|
Rookie
Default moaning continues... so weak

2003, Dakota SLT 4x4, 30000 miles, all stock parts.

I recently had basically everything in the rear gear housing replaced - cup differential side bearings, all differential bearings, gear kit rings, side and pinion bearings, sealer and lube added, all differential side bearings, and all case and side gears. This was done because I had a moaning/humming coming from the rear at 45-60 mph. Ring and pinion gears were gaulded, and all bearings were worn.

Dammit. I've read 10 or so other postings and threads on this business.

I still have some of that humming/moaning coming from the same area, and it's the same sound. Can anybody tell me if I need to care about this continued noise or if some rear-ends just make this noise (as has been suggested in some threads). Also, where did all of these problems come from? What the hell? Any suggestions of anything that could have been done to drive shaft, etc. that could cause this?

Stumped as **** here and depressed because my truck and I are close.

Old 03-28-2005 | 11:15 AM
trucker 41
Default RE: moaning continues... so weak

Did you consider that maybe it's your tires that's making that humming sound?

Old 03-28-2005 | 12:48 PM
Wilderness
|
Rookie

yeah, i plan to get my tires rotated and balanced this friday. however, right after the dealership replaced everything, the noise was not as loud. now it is just getting louder.

Old 03-28-2005 | 02:34 PM
trucker 41

I have a high pitch squeaking sound coming from the front, (sounds like wind whistling). Had a complete front brake service done on it and the dealer said that there's nothing wrong with my brakes or front end. Now that squeaking sound is worst than ever. Only happens at 50 kms/hr and up. I have no idea what it might be but it's beginning to be a pain in the ***.

Old 03-28-2005 | 04:54 PM
Wilderness
|
Rookie

Have the dealer replace the sway bar and its bushings. I had the same problem.

Now about my differential...

Old 05-13-2005 | 05:46 AM
slamdak8782

I used to be a GM tech and if you had a problem like galding its usually because the pinion depth was not set right there are shims under the pinion and when a rear end is set up it has to be perfectly set so the gears engage at the right point otherwise they hum like crazy and go out soon after, my 2 cents

Old 06-13-2005 | 05:57 AM
mayorofthelake

your first mistake, as was mine, was buying a dodge dakota! Good luck with your problem

Quick Reply: moaning continues... so weak