2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transfer Case help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Dick Manley
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case help

My 99 Ext Cab 5.2 has a bad transfer case again. What other years can I pull a T-case out of that will work in my Dak. My GF's parents have a 1st gen sitting in the yard and its just rotting. So I am hoping that I can yank that one and it will work.

Thanks
-DM-

Old 08-24-2009, 06:41 PM
2daks
Professional

Not much I can tell you. I'm in the same boat right now. Looking for a Tcase for a 97 3.9L auto. I do know you probably need a NP 231 D and the correct gear ratio if your truck is like mine which I believe is a 2.72. There is a label on the case.
I've been looking around at options too. They make a 231 D HD version which may hold up better.
You said your case went out again. What's going on? Did you replace all your U-joints last time? Or are you just rough on the truck, off roading and such, or just unlucky like me?
I did read you can use a Jeep Tcase but have to change a few things.
Anyone have any advice on this?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Dick Manley
Rookie

Just unlucky. Never offroad more than smooth dirt roads to go camping or whatever. THe last one cracked due to a bad U joint and I replaced them all last time, and every other oil change I would hit the grease fittings. I really am just gonna try and get a new truck.

-DM-

Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
2daks
Professional

Yeah, I got a new truck this past December. Looked for like 6 months and bought a new 08 Crew cab Dakota.( Hence my handle 2daks) Red just like the 97 but that was a extended cab. My wife just shook her head and said "that was a waste of 6 months, you bought the same truck"
I did get a great deal and the truck fits my needs well.
I passed the 97 on to my son. SO now I'm still working on it but it's all good because we get to spend some time together and he's learning alot.
We did manage to find a Tcase for $300 and have the shafts at the shop getting new u-joints pressed in. So shortly we'll have her back on the road.
Good luck in your search.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Dick Manley
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2daks
Yeah, I got a new truck this past December. Looked for like 6 months and bought a new 08 Crew cab Dakota.( Hence my handle 2daks) Red just like the 97 but that was a extended cab. My wife just shook her head and said "that was a waste of 6 months, you bought the same truck"
I did get a great deal and the truck fits my needs well.
I passed the 97 on to my son. SO now I'm still working on it but it's all good because we get to spend some time together and he's learning alot.
We did manage to find a Tcase for $300 and have the shafts at the shop getting new u-joints pressed in. So shortly we'll have her back on the road.
Good luck in your search.
No more searching for a t case, I just bought a 05 Xterra. The next step is the lift and 33's. Its nice I can get the lift, tires and rims for less than a lift for my old dak.

-DM-

Quick Reply: Transfer Case help