2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Radiator fan turns on and off when heat is on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 10:34 PM
beefjerky
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan turns on and off when heat is on?

When I turn the heat on (any fan setting), my radiator fan will turn on for 5 seconds and shut off for 5 seconds. It will do this for as long as I have the heat on. Doesn't matter if the engine is hot or if I just started. Also, the ac belt pully clutch will grab for a few seconds too, then stop. All this keeps going in a 10 second cycle.

When I turn the heat setting all the way off, the radiator fan will stop turning on and off, but I think the ac belt clutch will still keep grabbing/stopping..

Normally I wouldn't care, but when this is happening, the lights slightly dim when the fan in starting up, and I can feel a momentary pull...

Any ideas? Anything would be great really.

97 2.5l

Old 08-31-2009, 10:20 PM
beefjerky
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, here's an update:

I read online that you can disable the ac pulley clutch by disconnecting a single wire. So I did it, and it basically stopped all those problems. Now the fan only runs when the defrost settings are on, which is fine by me, because it at least it doesn't cycle, it just stays on.

AC never worked anyway, so I'm not bothered at all..

But I'm guessing that the true issue is somewhere in the AC system if disabling it solved the issues...

Quick Reply: Radiator fan turns on and off when heat is on?