2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Going to remove exhaust manifold on each side. Need some pointers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:34 PM
syllinx
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to remove exhaust manifold on each side. Need some pointers.

My first question is, do I need to buy a new gasket for where the manifold connects to the exhaust pipe? My other question is where can i easily find new manifold bolts? Please help. Gotta try to get all this done tomorrow. Sorry i mean its a 3.9. Any idea how much the bolts will cost?

Last edited by syllinx; 09-26-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:09 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing you have a 4.7 with an exhaust leak? The easiest way to remove the manifolds is to remove the front fenderwells. It pretty much makes everything wide open. You don't need a gasket for the manifold-pipe connection, but the only place to get the right bolts so you can reuse the heat shield is the dealership.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:11 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I would post a correction - the main reason for an exhaust leak at the manifold on a 4.7 is a broken manifold-head bolt. Those are the bolts you have to et at the dealership. The manifold to pipe bolts are just normal bolts.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:02 AM
diright
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manifold bolts

I know there will be a lot of negative feedback on this but here goes. I have the 3.9 and have had several manifold to head bolts break for seemingly no reason. They are known for it. (I hear tick,tick,tick and think here I go again) Anyway I don't worry about going to Dodge dealer and getting their super-duper special bolts (HECK... they are the ones that broke in the first place!!) I just go to the auto/hardware store and get regular bolts of proper length - usually stainless. I forget the thread size but I believe it is very common. As for the heat shield I get a piece of all thread and two nuts. Cut it to proper length,screw in hole,bolt on manifold then use second nut for heat shield. P.S. although I think they are available if needed you don't use gaskets. Just make sure both surfaces are cleaned off.

P.S. I can't wait for the "what are you nuts?" responses...LOL
I have almost 189,000 miles and every replaced bolt is still there and I actually at some point took a socket and loosened them to check (cold) and they are absolutely fine

Quick Reply: Going to remove exhaust manifold on each side. Need some pointers.