2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

TPS problem P0123 high volts (please help)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 05:04 PM
quigs
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS problem P0123 high volts (please help)

My truck idles but the second you touch the gas and let off it dies. I checked the TPS conector with the key on and had 5.1 v at the supply and 5.8 v at the signal wire. I traced the wires back to the harness and nothing seemed to be chafed. I heard that a short from the horn curcit (12v) could cause this so I pulled the horn fuse but nothing changed. I also heard the the clock spring could cause this so I disconeccted the battery and then disconeccted the clock spring and still nothing changed.

I am looking though the manual right now to get an idea where I may have a wiring issue.

If anyone else has had this problem and knows something else that I should check please post.

Thanks
Phil

Old 10-11-2009, 05:28 PM
quigs
Rookie

The brake and the abs light were on for a couple hundred miles before I had this problem. I didn't think they were related but just thought I should mention it, just in case.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:01 PM
quigs
Rookie

UPDATE!!!!! Started pulling the harness apart didn't see any chaffed wires put everything back together and put the new TPS is and it was 5.09 volts supply and 1.00 volts signal and at WOT was 4.1 volts. So I guess the TPS is ok now?

HOWEVER the CIL is still on and still giving me code P0123? I have no idea what is wrong right now I had the battery disconnected and the computer was disconnected so the computer should have reset.

If I'm overlooking something someone please chime in. I need to get the truck running asap bikes are sitting outside and it is going to snow. Apparently this global warming thing is missing MN

Old 10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, with the TPS disconnected you should have roughly 5v on the supply wire and roughly 5v on the signal wire. Also make sure that the sensor ground is good. When the TPS is connected, the voltage on the signal side should never go above 4.7 or 4.8 and if it does it will set the voltage high code.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 PM
quigs
Rookie

Checked that. Everything is in spec and I found the signal (orange with blue tracer) at the ECU and checked the voltage there and it was around 1.0 volts. I think its the computer

Old 10-12-2009, 05:13 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I would probably agree with you assuming the wire isn't grounded out somewhere.

Quick Reply: TPS problem P0123 high volts (please help)