2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My work on my 2001 QC

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:58 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My work on my 2001 QC

Well, it is almost done. Long story short, I bought this truck knowing the old engine had a problem. I took the thing apart and found a lower milage 4.7L powertech out of a Durango. Tone rings were different so I had to swap them. I have taken both cranks out, I swapped the rings, and now I am reassembling and painting. I had to wait for new gaskets to come in and get new bolts for the lower bedplate. Here is a picture of the chains before I took everything off. I stripped the engine down, leaving only the heads on.

By the way, what spark plug does everyone run in their 4.7s? Thanks.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:24 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker

Here are some additional photos. After I am done I hope to have enough photos to do a write up on swapping out the tone rings.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id like to see this write up because all i can find cheaper is the damn 32 tooth tone ring engines for a grand cheaper...and all it is is a damn ring on the crank????

hurry up with the write up!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 04:22 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker

Yes, its just the tone ring. Until you get to the upper years, where the 4.7 is offered as a high output, which means forged crank and HO cams. And even those you can use without a problem if you put in the 16 tooth tone ring. Actually there are two tone rings, one on the crank and one on the camshaft. The cam is no big deal, the crank sucks a little. YOu have to tear down the whole engine, pull the cranks from both, swap the rings, and put it back together. I am using it as an opportunity to switch out my main seals, all the gaskets, timing friction pieces, etc. while I have it out. Also going to paint it like the V8 in my signature.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

thats what i want to do is get a used newer block and replace all the gaskets and what not...i take it you can buy the tone ring at the dodge dealer???

i absolutly love pics and i take alot myself so the more you post the more it will help me overcome the burdun i have in front of me

Old 11-01-2009, 11:32 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker

Got the por-15 and the first coat of engine enamel on this weekend. Tommorrow I will put the final coat on, hopefully get some more rod bolts from the dealer which I didn't know were TTY, and get the thing back together.

I have torn down a 318 magnum before so that helped. This engine hasn't been terrible to work on, but there is definately a huge learning curve, and plan on going out to buy a bunch of new metric wrenches if you don't have them already. Specifically 13mm, 15mm, 16mm, and 18mm deep sockets. 16mm isn't all that common. And you will need a torque wrench with a drive to accomodate them too for reassembly.

And loudpedal, to answer your question, no, I haven't been able to find a dealer that will sell the tone ring. They all say that you have to buy it with the crank for around $700. I know that the guy over at Airram.com is very helpful and is thinking about having tone rings machined up. Other than that I haven't heard of anywhere you can get them from. My personal suggestion is if you are doing the swap take the old tone ring from your first engine. Not really because it saves you money, but I learned a ton and broke a few pieces on the first motor learning how to get them out. THen, I saved them on the second one because of my mistakes. It all worked out. I'd say I have put in 18 hours swapping the ring, but that was also including some prep and cleaning for paint prep that didn't need to be done to make it run.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Paints-n-cows
Amateur

If you buy an aftermarket turned crank (ie, from O'Reillys, AutoZone, etc.) they will tell you to reuse the tone ring that was on the original crank.

I am also in the process of rebuilding two 4.7s. One is a stocker out of a '00 Durango and the other is the HO out of a '02 Jeep. The first engine had a spun rod on the #8 cylinder and that is why I knew about swapping the tone rings. BTW, I got the crank from O'Reillys complete with matching rod and main bearings for $232. The manager called their distribution center for me and got me a 10/10 crank instead of something that had really been worked over.

Last edited by Paints-n-cows; 11-01-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

thanks man....if you could do me a favor and take pics of every process of the build up id greatly appriciate it

Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker

I have pictures of everything so far. Looks like I am getting stuck replacing rod bolts now, turns out they are TTY. Bringing my total for all new gaskets and parts to $340. You can reuse most of the gaskets but I chose to replace everything. So $222 of the $340 was a whole lower gasket set.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Paints-n-cows
Amateur

Yep, I found that out about the rod bolts as well.

Quick Reply: My work on my 2001 QC