2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

just a quick post

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 PM
dino_squirrel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just a quick post

hye guys, I'm new, just about to walk out the door and I needed to get this up. I didn't have time to search so please spare me the learn to use search button but heres the issue - since I've had the truck (3 years) it's always sounded "not right" when starting. best i can describe is it sounded like it was skipping a tooth on the flywheel when starting, and then when I'd go to start it the starter would engage but no sound. you hear an initial click, but releasing the key and trying again about three times would get it to start. went to start it yesterday and nothing but grinding. took off starter and it ate three teeth on the flywheel, great. so I'm looking to replace the starter and flywheel. I'm not a noob to mechanics but I'm NOT a pro by anymeans. with the help of an online forum, I've replaced a headgasket for a 1.6l FWD car two years ago and it ran great after.

So basically, what am I looking at here, how long (one man), difficulty etc.

2001 Dakota
3.9 v6
2WD.
extended cab "sport"

I'll be back in about an hour.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the starter was positioned incorrectly or the solenoid was not fully engaging. Ether way ya replace the starter. You should post this in the 2nd Generation Dakota sub forum. I will move it there for you.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Independentfool
Veteran

it will be difficult for 1 man. You need to get the trans out to be able to change the flywheel.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:44 AM
dino_squirrel

so the idea of just sliding the tranny "back" making room to work is not a real one? My dad said something about the idea of sliding the tranny back. So I have to take the whole trasmission out, set aside before I can even get to the flywheel? Will I have enough room to work on the wheel at that point?

this is killing me.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:24 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

You may be able to slide the tranny back if you have the proper jack for the transmission I have to change my Flex plate and was hoping to do the same but ended up having to remove the entire transmission. Also, you didn't state wether you have a auto or a standard. If it's standard you will just have to remove the fly wheel and replace it. If it's auto, unfortunately you will have to get a new torque converter. As it is one assembly. Im not sure if You can just remove the plate and install a new one but from the ones I have seen they are a one piece unit, and the amount of work to rebuild one you probably can buy a used for less or even a rebuilt one. But I have never taken one apart probably possible but not sure. I don't remember seeing any bolts for removing the plate however. I can have a look as i just removed my tranny yesterday. And will get pics before I reinstall.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:37 PM
dino_squirrel

auto.

flex plate, that's a manual part right?

I'm not too savvy with transmissions and the like.

anyone know what sort of wiring and lines are associated with removing the tranny, fluid loss etc? I'm not planning on doing anything for a while but I want to have ALL of my ducks in a row before I even attempt.

thanks again.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Well, I suggest borrowing a transmission jack or buying one it will make your lift a lot easier. Flex plate is the plate on the back of the motor it's for the auto. I would drop the pan, and drain into something clean if possible, and save the oil. You will loose a bit when you remove the cooler lines. You will need to remove the wires, speed sensor, ect.. there is a few plugs two lines, dip stick and about 8 bolts holding the tranny to the motor. and removing the transmission crossmember.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:05 AM
dino_squirrel

So do I need to unbolt the drive shaft as well?

Yes the torque converter is attached to the flywheel so I need to get a new one. Autozone has one for 144, 1yr warranty. From looking in the hole where the starter goes I can see the flywheel and I see that the two teeth that are missing look as though they broke off when the starter engaged, I assume this because the teeth on the starter still look good. they dont look as though theyve stripped the teeth off because there arent any scratches on flat marks.

so, any idea on how long this should take?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: just a quick post