2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Anyone here plow with their Dak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:18 AM
JohnCT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here plow with their Dak?

I recently bought an 02 quadcab with a plow. Will not be doing this commercially or anything. Just our driveway and family's. How has yours held up to the plowing? Had any problems?

Old 11-11-2009, 11:50 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know of anyone with one but I think it would be fine as long as your not trying to push a lot of heavy wet snow. At our old house our driveway was about 250 yards long and we planned to get a plow for my dakota but we got a 95 ford f350 instead cause I didnt want all the wear and tear problems like what a plow can do to a truck plus it was HD and we needed a truck for hauling wood and plowing up at camp.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:00 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

yep, do the truck a favor and plow little bit at a time, better to plow 12 times with 1" snow than one time with 12"s

and dont be stingy with the angle, all the way left or all the way right, plow from one side to the other instead of trying to push it all straight, cause you'll be there for hours

try to use the plow and snow to slow down instead of constantly braking, save that wear and tear for hte streets

and aim it all the way to the left when driving, if somebody hits you you'll be forced away instead of the plow digging right into the car and probably killing somebody

not sure if you have any experience plowing but i figured id put this info up for anybody who searches and finds this thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:39 PM
lamchop
Rookie

you would want to keep an eye on the temp on the tranny, plowing will add a good amount of heat to the tranny and will kill it.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:24 AM
JohnCT

Thanks guys. I do have some experience using my neighbor's truck plowing our driveway for the past 5-6 years. Its about 150 yards long. He died last year, so hence the need for me to pick up a 4wd truck. It came with a 3 year old Snoway plow. I will be installing a tranny fluid temp gauge in the next few weeks. It has a factory cooler as part of the radiator and if it wasnt for the A/C condenser mounted to the front of the radiator, I would install a better aftermarket unit. Again, I don't plan on using this for a plowing business, so I'm not too concerned about it getting beaten on. It already needs the ball joints and tie rod ends replaced which I will do in the spring....only 30K miles after the uppers were replaced under the recall. I'm sure most of the front end slop i feel is the lowers, but still. The truck only has 50K miles on it.

Quick Reply: Anyone here plow with their Dak?