2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Newbie!!Can someone help me??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:58 PM
kimd29388
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie!!Can someone help me??

I have 2001 Dakota r/t ,,my problem is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(please dont think I'm stupid!LOL)

When driving down the road,,,my truck dings like the doors open!!I can unplug the plugs going to the brain box on the lower left side under the panel and it stops until I plug it back up,,the problem with doing that is at night I have NO LIGHTS!!!

Ok Can someone PLEASE tell me what this is so I don't have to pay the dealer here --which is a joke they dont know what it is either and want to charge me by the hour to figure it out....

Someone PLEASE help!!!!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:02 PM
kimd29388

What??all these Dakota owners and Not one person might know what this could be??HMMM..............

Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The brain box is the Central Timer Module. You can't leave it unplugged because it controls nearly all the electrical accessory functions in the truck. This could be either the CTM is bad and needs replaced, or one or the other or maybe both of the door latch assemblies has a bad switch in it that is causing the door dinger to sound. The best thing to do would be to unplug the wiring to one of the latch assemblies, if it still dings, plug it back in and unplug the other one. You could also unplug the molex connectors in the door jamb boot but that is kind of hard to do and hard to reassemble. If you can identify a bad latch assembly, you can either leave it unplugged (obviously the dome light and power lock/keyless entry won't work) or replace it.

If the latch assemblies all seem to test OK, the only other thing it could really be is the CTM. The CTM has to be tested at the Dodge dealer with the DRB scan tool. If your dealer can't test yours, find another dealer that knows what they are doing. You could also have a shorted or cut wire someplace causing the problem, but first you have to find out which door has the problem before you can try to either find the short or run a new wire.

Jimmy

Old 11-17-2009, 06:54 AM
kimd29388

I had a feeling thats whats it is...I have done the dorrs aucuators and got no results.Thanks for you help!Guess thats my next job!

Quick Reply: Newbie!!Can someone help me??