2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Jdb107
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cruise control problem

I haven't attempted to fix the problem yet, as I'm not 100% sure where to start. The truck came with cruise control (about 120k miles the truck), I've tried multiple times to turn it on and engage it. When I use the steering wheel controls and turn cruise control to on, the light turns on in the dash. When I try to "set" the speed, nothing happens. I was trying to use it going 60mph. Is there a fuse that could be gone? Pinched wiring? Lose connection? Really I have no idea where to start. Hopefully its something I'm missing or little like im not engaging the cc properly, cause im not willing to fix it if its going to cost more than about $5

Old 11-19-2009, 07:24 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If the cruise is working OK, all you have to do is turn the on switch on and hold the set switch down for a second or two and it should engage. I doubt this problem is because you are not setting it correctly.

You can disconnect the battery, let the truck sit for 2 or 3 minutes and remove the 2 screws from the back side of the steering wheel, pull the air bag off the wheel and check to see if the wire connector for the switch to set the cruise is unplugged or damaged somehow. If the switch looks OK, check the cable connector from the cruise servo to the linkage on the side of the throttle body. Then check the servo to be sure it's plugged in. You can also remove the cowl from the bottom of the windshield and check the vacuum hoses going to the vacuum canister for the cruise. I'm not sure about a 1998 but on my 2001 it's under the cowl on the passenger's side.

If it's not an obvious physical problem like a broken wire or cracked vacuum hose or disconnected cruise servo cable, you have to have it diagnosed at the Dodge dealer. They will use the DRB scan tool to find out what is wrong, which is the only way to diagnose the cruise but it's still cheaper than throwing parts at it that may not fix it. If the servo is bad, it has to be replaced. It could also be the clockspring, and if so ask at the dealer if your truck is under any recall for a bad clockspring.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 11-19-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Cruise control problem