2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

rear axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 04:32 PM
drifter58
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear axle swap

i'm am replacing the rear axle tommorow on my 1998 dodge dakota and i was wonder if you guys had any tip's or trick to help make this go smoothly

thanks

p.s. if there's a site anyone know's of with a step by step removal and installation of the rear axle, it would be greatly apreaciated

Old 11-26-2009, 05:03 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Before doing any of this Measure the U bolts, and get new ones made up, or buy some. My local napa makes them on the spot for about 40 bucks per axle. Or if you have time, just get the U bolts out and bring them with you to your local auto place. (I would cut them out Just don't cut the springs.)

it's pretty simple. First lift the truck off the ground via the frame(You can lift under the axle and put stands under the frame if needed.) Next Get out your angle grinder, cut the U bolts (Or you will be under there for like a year trying to get that rust off.)

Next would be to undo the brake line, and e brake cables. Depending on the condition of the new drum brakes I would either remove the cable from the drum or replace the entire assembly onto the new axle, from the old. Other than that it's straight forward. The hardest part is getting the tires off the ground at least for me. You will probably need some wood blocks for under the jacks unless you have some higher ones.

Chris
ps. check the spring perch width before installing and making sure it's the same (should be the same if from a dakota, but will be different I believe if from a durango.)

Old 11-30-2009, 02:45 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't know if you changed the axle yet but you can always use the factory service manual that is located in the FAQ in this section. Extremely detail R&R and pics.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:07 PM
drifter58
Rookie

ok, the u-bolts came out quite well, no need to break the u-bolts, starting the swap today

Old 12-03-2009, 03:47 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Hope you know you should use new u bolts each time.

Quick Reply: rear axle swap