2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Trans Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:22 PM
middleriggle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Issue

I know there are numerous posts on transmission issues, but I wanted to post my own. I have a '97 Dakota 3.9 4x2. I replaced the trans last year after the pump blew up and detonated the transmission. I know I have a slow leak in the trans line, and because I dont drive it all that frequently, I just top it off everytime I check it. Well, my primary vehicle went down for repairs, and I discovered my trans. isn't shifting right. It seems like it's jumping from 1st to 3rd with a possible quick shift into and then out of 2nd. To make sure I didn't actually detonate a gear ring or anything like that, I put the truck into "2" instead of "D" and it will shift into 2nd properly. The trans has approx. 50k miles on it. I'd appreciate any guidance you folks can give.

Dave

Old 11-30-2009, 02:54 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First thing make sure your fluid level is good. Make sure your using the correct fluid type. The computer controls the shift points in the transmission. The usual cause of bad shifting is the speed sensor.

Quick Reply: Trans Issue