2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

nv231d not disengaging from 4wd hi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 04:27 PM
scarter4work
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nv231d not disengaging from 4wd hi?

Hi all, I'm new on the forums. I have bought a 2000 dakota 3.9L auto 4x4. I was running the 4 wheel drive through its paces the other day. I was able to verify that 4w hi works and 4w lo works, but when I shifted it back into 2wd, it is making a noise from the front that seems to occur every time the drive shaft spins to the front. It doesn't sound like its coming from the t-case or the back, but I haven't been able to watch it while someone else drives it. The t-case has an electrical connection on the top of it in place of the vacuum switch. Does anyone have any ideas on this problem. I scoured about 4 different boards for 3 days and really haven't found something about 4w hi --> 2wd. It is possible the t-case fluid is low, it is leaking at 1 drop a day or two on the ground currently. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If it is a manual shifter, then most likely it is mis adjusted. Just go underneath and find the shift linkage. There is an adjustment bolt on it.

If it is an electronic shifter, it may be a wire problem. You can check out the service manual located at the top of this section if you need more help.

Quick Reply: nv231d not disengaging from 4wd hi?