2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

power doors and power windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power doors and power windows

so i currently have no power doors or windows

has anybody installed a aftermarket remote door lock system, and how was the install and quality

and for power windows, would it be easier for me to find a truck with power windows, and jack the doors

Old 12-18-2009, 12:10 AM
ptesmoke

i have installed a remote start/keyless entry alarm in my 2004, doors were somewhat of a pain as they are multiplexed (on one wire) so had to wire together a relay system for the keyless entry to work. wasnt really a pain but alot of extra wiring in my floor.

dont know if you could just do it with doors, i havent been able to tear apart a non power dak, it all depends if they ran the module and wiring required for the system, though knowing dodge they didnt. id say your easiest bet would be to look for the control module behind the drivers side kick panel.

hope that helps.

Ptesmoke

Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

see im not gonna do the control module, cause i just replaced mine, thing cost 250, so i keep on checking to see if there is a junk yard near me with the doors and ill jack the ctm outa it

for the door locks i was thinking something like this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HFM-CK2000/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ELI-LK01-10-122/

Old 12-18-2009, 08:13 PM
ptesmoke

those would work, seems like alot of wiring for what its doing though. one other thing youd maybe want to check is if you could wire an aftermarket keyless entry/autostart/alarm into them. i imagine you could. keyless entry is one thing, but the new all in one jobbies are getting pretty nice. although i dont know what your winters are like but up here in northern alberta it sure is nice to be able to start my truck from indoors and avoid the -50c weather just that much longer lol.

Ptesmoke

edit: i just finished reading the second set you posted , seems they can work with other keyless entry systems...i might lean more towards those ones just for compatibility sake.

Last edited by ptesmoke; 12-18-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:47 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes you can add aftermarket door locks to your Dakota, and no it is not very hard. Also, there is no wiring in the door for door locks or power windows if your truck doesn't have them from the factory. Finding a CTM from a power-optioned truck will not help or even enable you to add power locks or power windows.

What needs to happen is first you have to install aftermarket door lock actuators on each door lock. It's not really super easy but it is not that difficult either. You need to run your own wires (there will be 2 per door) from the actuator up through the door and through the rubber boots into the truck cab. Actuators will run you about 20 bucks each, from Best Buy or a good independent car audio store. You can also buy aftermarket power window kits to change the window regulators out for electric ones. Those will cost anywhere from 125 to maybe 200 bucks, depending on the brand. I don't know if they still make them anymore but SPAL (from Italy) is the ones I used to work with and they did a pretty good job. These are a bit more tricky to install and get adjusted correctly, but when they are done right they usually work very well. You also add your own rocker-type switches to control the up-down window motion.

Then you will need at least a basic keyless entry system to control the door locks. It will connect via two 30 amp Bosch relays and give you a remote control to lock and unlock the doors as you would with the OEM keyless entry. I suppose if all you wanted was just power locks without keyless entry, you could set up a 3 way spring loaded toggle switch and just trigger ground to the corresponding relay for lock or unlock, depending on what you need to do.

With a keyless entry system though you can also add horn honk, paking light flash and dome lamp supervision (so the dome lights turn on when you unlock the truck with the remote). You can get a good keyless entry for *probably* $80.00 if a shop in your area will sell you one over the counter, without installation. Directed Electronics (Viper) is the best one you can get, but you can also find cheaper ones like at JC Whitney. I think I even saw a cheap one at Advance Auto Parts a few years ago. Keep in mind you need to buy a quality unit or you will hate it when it doesn't work right.

If you want, you can get an aftermarket alarm (Directed/Viper is the best and most reliable) that will work the door locks and protect the truck too. Both the keyless entry and alarm units can be interfaced to also raise and lower the aftermarket power windows too, but you need to buy an extra window module to do it. Usually when you add power window modules to interface the windows with a keyless entry or alarm it will also give you the auto-down and auto-up with one tap on the window switch, like a lot of newer cars have nowadays.

You need to understand 12 volt relays, diodes and have a good working knowledge of wiring and the electrical system in your truck to add power locks and windows successfully. I installed my door lock actuators and Viper alarm in my truck nearly 4 years ago, and have had absolutely no problems with it at all. I installed I don't know how many Directed systems and door lock actuators over the years and hardly ever had any problems with them. Viper has a long reputation of being the best and most reliable system, but the alarm or keyless will only be as good as the installer who puts it there.

If you want the power options added but don't want the hassle of installation, a good car audio/alarm shop would *probably* charge about $350 to $400.00 to add keyless, power locks and windows to your truck. Plus if a shop did the work it would/should be under a parts and labor warranty so its their job to fix it if it breaks. (Directed Electronics products also carry a lifetime warranty.) When I was in the car audio business that's about what we would have charged for a Dakota, give or take a few dollars. Prices are probably different where you live though.

So yes it can be done and it's a really great thing to have on your truck, just depends on how much you want to spend on it. The main thing is get quality parts and take the time to install them correctly so you don't have problems with it later.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 12-18-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

holy crap!!! thats a lot of typing lol yea you know your stuff, for the first part what i was saying is if i was to get one from a junk yard id jack the ctm and the doors, not just the ctm

so it sounds like i should just suck it up and fork out the money if i wanna add the power options

i most likely wont, just wanted to see what options i had
im a college student so i aint got that kinda money, and when i graduate ill most likely get a decked out new 2500 ram deisel

Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM
ptesmoke

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
but the alarm or keyless will only be as good as the installer who puts it there.

by far the most important part of this thread. ive seen countless hack and slash jobs put into vehicles and have had to redo everything myself.

honestly for the amount of hassle if your planning on getting another truck in a few years i wouldnt bother with this project. except for maybe an autostart/alarm combo. mostly because theyre cheap, easy to install, and a big selling feature to some people.

good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Ptesmoke

Quick Reply: power doors and power windows