2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Corroded Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Rancidgore74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corroded Brake Lines

I recently noticed a loss in braking ability in my dakota. I checked the brake lines running from the master cylinder, to find out that about halfway back the truck, theres about an 8 inch section of corroded brake lines, where brake fluid is leaking. I can't find replacement brake lines anywhere....anyone have any ideas?

Thank You.

It's late now, but ill take a picture tomorrow and post it on this thread so you can see what i mean.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Rancidgore74

please somebody help me.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:05 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what size the brake line is, but you need to replace the whole line. If you call the dealer they can tell you what size the line is.

Most auto parts store have brake lines. In fact if they don't run away. Far away.

Once you know what size line you need, measure how long of a line you need. Go to the parts store tell them you this much line in this size and they should go get it for you. Get your self a brake line bender or a small tubing bender. Run the brake lines along the factory area.

Chances are if you have one bad brake line, the rest are on the way out. Most rear brake lines go way before front brake lines. If you know how to bleed brakes, then you can try to do the lines yourself. Just make sure you don't crimp the lines. Also, be smart about running the lines, Keep them as close as possible to the factory line. They are in that spot for a purpose.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Rancidgore74

Thanks so much CSCustomCars...how much do you think it will run me for all the parts?

Old 12-26-2009, 02:17 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not really sure. Um, maybe $50? Don't forget about brake fluid. You'll have a lot of brake bleeding to do. I mean a lot. You'll have to do all four corners probably twice.

Brake lines cost varies greatly around my area, so I'm not really sure what it'll cost you.

But you'll need the brake lined, Brake fluid, Tubbing wrenches, and small tubing bender.

If you decide only to re-place the bad line, when you do, it could make another problem area appear, like it might reveal another bad brake line.

I'm off to bed so I can't help out any longer, but if you wait until morning, you'll get more help.One other thing, call your local shops and see how much they would charge to replace all the rear lines. It might be more cost effective and possibly safer if you don't really know what your doing (no offense). Messing with brake lines really isn't something a novice should go about without some help. Not trying to discourage you, but go about it carefully or have someone else do it.

Last edited by CSCustomCars; 12-26-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:11 AM
batman13
Grand Champion

theres a type of line called poly-something i belive, (not "something" but you know what i mean)

stuffs great no need for a bender, take the bark line off, get a total measurement end to end, cut the fittings of the ends take them into the parts store,
they should be able to match fittings up even if you have to use a couple sections of line,

dont use compression fittings, they shrink down the id and you lose braking

i had to do the rear line on my truck a couple years ago, i know im gonna have to do the front lines soon so i have sections of brake line with a couple adapters so when they do go.. im ready (no need for any of that pro-active nonsense)

its a fairly simple thing to do, esp with the poly line you really can just hand bend it to where it needs to go

if i remember correctly the cost to do the rear was like 24.99 (really, thats how i remember it lol)

I also did a simple gravity bleed, never had to pump the brake or anything,
i did the brake line in the front when i deleted my ABS, never bleed that at all, brakes are just as good (lucky i guess)

Old 12-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Rancidgore74

Did a little research, and I think your talking about Poly Armored brake line from advanced auto. The only problem is i need the tool to put fittings on and a cutter. How much do you think those will run me before I get a ride to the parts store.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:05 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

shouldnt need the tools, they have them in sections with flared ends and fittings installed,

Quick Reply: Corroded Brake Lines