2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 Dodge Dakota PCM Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 06:05 PM
fbjr55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Dakota PCM Issues

I have been having numerous issues with my Dakota running rough over the last year. I have replaced the following sensors TPS, IAC, Crankshaft Sensor, Camshaft Sensor, O2 Sensor. I have also replaced 3 injectors. I also had a short fixed (in the ASD circuit). The last mechanic (fixed the short and the injectors) told me I needed a new PCM. Mine was putting out erroneous codes. I purchased a rebuilt PCM through Auto Computer Exchange in Florida. I installed the computer and let the truck idle. It idled nice and smooth. I thought I had finally fixed the issue. However once I put the truck in gear, it started idling rough again. It also had no power (meaning if there was any incline it would barely move). The engine light which was not on originally came on. THe error codes were 0601, 0352, 0351, 0355 and 0357. I called Auto Computer Exchange and was told to send back both computers, so they could test them and see whether they had the same issue, Using the results they would be able to tell me which circuit was causing the issue. They ended up replacing the old computer under warranty. I called them, because I wanted to find out what they had discovered. And I did not want to put the new replacement in the truck if there was still a potential issue with the truck wiring. I was then told that I had to replace the battery before I installed the new PCM. THe reason I was given was that my battery had a weak cell. This caused the battery not to put out a full charge which enabled the PCM to get a virus. I have searched the web and found no references to virus in a PCM. Has anyone heard of this happening before? I have to wonder where the virus would come from. It's not like my PCM is connected to the internet. I have tested my battery and it was tested okay by autozone (12.64 volts). Even if it is not a virus, can anyone think of a reason a battery that works fine in every other respect would cause an issue with the PCM? I do not want to spend $100 for a battery I do not need. I would really appreciate any advice. I love my truck, but this issue has cost over 2 thousand dollars.

Thanks

Last edited by fbjr55; 12-26-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-26-2009, 06:37 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PCM controls the charging rate of the alternator (basically has the voltage regulator built into the PCM). Maybe they detected a problem in that circuit. But a virus? That could ONLY come from them--when they program the PCM. 12.64 volts sounds good to me.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:59 AM
fbjr55

I called one of the techs. He said I must have talked to one of the sales reps. It is not a virus. The PCM checks for voltage and if it receives a low reading it goes into a fatal error. Still sounded strange. You would think I would get an error code to check battery, instead of a fatal error on the PCM.

I installed the new battery and put the new PCM in. The truck started and I did not get the 601 code I received on the previous PCM. However I am still getting 1391 (which has been an ongoing problem) and 351, 352 and 358. The truck still hesitates when you put on the gas from idle. Any thoughts on what the issue could be. Both camshaft and crankshaft sensors have been replaced twice.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:31 AM
ewhetzel21
Exclamation Have you thought maybe mechanical not electrical being the problem?

What do the codes mean? Do you have the descriptions of the faults? It could be something mechanical causing the faults to come up.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:42 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

TPS or MAP sensors, or even your IAC, hell could be all three could cause your hesitation

Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 PM
fbjr55

the 1391 code is intermittent loss of camsgaft sensor or crankshaft sensor. The other codes are ignition coil error codes 351 ignition coil 1 etc. TPS and IAC have been replaced. Personally even though I am not a mechanic, I believe it is a wiring / connection issue with the cam shaft or crankshaft sensor. I took it to an auto electronic shop a month ago. At that time I knew it had a short in the ASD circuit, because the ASD relay fuse was blowing. The shop fixed the short and replaced 3 injectors. The truck still was not fixed. After troubleshooting several days they decided I had a bad computer. I replced the computer and I still have the same issue. I have had this to several mechanics, no one has seemed to be able to fix it. Today I drove it to work. I was not sure I was going to make it back. I checked the trouble codes again and now have ignition coil errors for all eight cylinders. I know the other 5 coils did not go bad today. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:20 AM
87notcher

I have the P0601 code in my ram and had my computer rebuilt from Auto Computer Exchange and had the same experience with them telling me to replace the battery. I could never understand why but did it. They sent me a second one which I put in after installing the new battery and it got the P0601 code as well. Had them send me a third and took the truck to Dodge who found a short in some wiring (they say) and repaired that before installing the new computer. Now the code is gone but the trans wont shift out of second! I guess its related to the pcm because it shifted fine when I took it to the dealership. I changed the governer pressure swith and regulator in the trans a few months back as well so that also makes me think its pcm related....oh well, just had to vent when I saw this thread. Any advice would be appreciated though!

Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 AM
gm1300r

any updates?
my truck is doing the samething.
hear my story....
I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota QC 4X4 4.7, 185,000 miles. It was running fine. For the last 3 yrs the engine light has been on with a 601 code (bad PCM). But it has been running fine with the 601 code. So I went to change the spark plug as I always do, change them one by one. After I was done, went to start the truck and it was running ruff & idling ruff. Like a cylinder was not firing or something. So I cleaned the TB replaced the TPS & IAC & O2 sensor still nothing. So I turn the truck on, pulled the #1 spark plug wire (did nothing) then #3, then #5, then #7 (one by one). Then I had unplugged the #1,3,5,7 all at the same time and the truck stayed on like I did nothing. If I pulled any of the other spark plug wires (one by one 2,4,6,8,) you could tell the difference with just one unplugged. So I pulled the plugs on the 1,3,5,7 cylinders and it looked like they weren’t firing at all.
Is there anything other than the PCM that would cut off ½ of the engine? Thanks for any help.

today (update) Put in a Good PCM, new battery,Cam sensor. No codes, & still running ruff.
thanks for any help!!!

Old 08-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Chadzilla3000

I actually had the same thing happen with my truck. I had the engine light stay on and got a code reading over at the Auto Zone. They said that I had a bad PCM, so I went online to search, but I could only find a few vendors. I saw Solo Automotive Electronics and DodgeDirect and a few others. Does anyone here have any reviews of ordering a cheap or rebuild Dodge Dakota PCM or ECU?

Old 09-14-2015, 09:58 PM
JoseyWales
Rookie

I have the same problem..have a shutter problem with number 8 misfire..Had my friend check it out to,,replaced fuel pump,,still did it,but needed to replace pump because after shut off it loses pressure...Friend said it act intermitly ,something electrical..maybe bad number 8 injector or PCM..hope no problem with wire harness..?..Just picked this truck up..Wife is very upset..this has cause us to fight..she wanted this truck and I'm getting the blame...can anyone please help me in what up with this Dakota..

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Dakota PCM Issues