2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Frustration Mounts!!! Engine won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:56 PM
azfords
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustration Mounts!!! Engine won't start.

Long project here. Had propane in 02 Dakota 4.7 and it ate the valves. Had the valves and seats replaced, heads rebuilt, block cleaned and tranny inspected. All back in truck now but having strange issue. Have spark and fuel at the plugs, but the engine won't start. It just turns over and over. We have been hunting for some type of electrical issue since the propane system was removed but are coming up empty so far. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:23 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, spark and fuel is present. Which rules out bad coils or fuel pump.

I know that if the PCM isn't receiving a good signal from the crankshaft, or camshaft, position sensor, it won't allow the engine to run.

When putting it back together, could you have screwed something up? (Camshaft/crankshaft not aligned properly, etc?)

I've never really gotten into engine work, so I'm not good with the internals. I do know that when my timing chain/sprokets broke (3.9L), I had a no start condition (obviously, lol). Except I wasn't getting spark (didn't check fuel).

On my 3.9L, since it has a distributor, we were able to tell by removing the distributor cap and verifying no rotation, either the shaft was broke, or the chain was broke. On your 4.7L, maybe you can just remove the camshaft position sensor?

Old 12-28-2009, 03:52 PM
varmintjcl
Amateur

let me ask this, if the #1 piston is at top of cyl & the TDC mark lines up with harmonic balancer wouldn't the crank be in proper position & then be ready to set with the cams V8 mark?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:43 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

fire fuel compression. sounds like you have 2 out of 3. takes all 3 to make it run though

Old 01-01-2010, 09:26 AM
azfords
Smile Figured it out, finally!!!!

The timing kit that the machine shop sold us had the wrong sprocket in it for the CAM timing sensor to read. Picked up the correct one and she fired up perfect. This is truly a Happy New Year!!!

Quick Reply: Frustration Mounts!!! Engine won't start.