2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Rusty bumper fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Brutus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Rusty bumper fix?

So this RT I picked up is real nice. BUT...the front bumper has this big huge rust cruster.Looks like the skin cancer the doc removed from my neck several years ago and is coming back again.
Anyhow are the newer Daks like 01-02 with the plastic covers, would these cover up the mess. I guess I could replace the whole thing, but would rather just place the cap over it. After I cut out and plaster with some rust prevention. Any ideas if these newer bumper caps fit?

Old 01-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have no Idea myself. But maybe a small *BUMP* to the thread and someone can comment on it.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Brutus

thanks Crazy, I seen a 4X4 Sport in town today. Huge hole rusted in his bumper in the corner. I would have thought there would be someone on here with this issue.

This is what i thought about getting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUMPE...item2a03769c86

Old 01-03-2010, 10:24 AM
MrBlond

I purchased one of these ebay rear bumpers a few years ago. The fit was right, I just threw it on, but after the first winter the dam thing was covered in surface rust. So I took it off and rattle caned four coats of primer and four coats of flat black, my truck is black so it looks good.

It still has no rust after three Michigan winters! Now my front bumper is toast with rust.....

You will have to paint before you install good luck!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:57 AM
batman13
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Brutus
thanks Crazy, I seen a 4X4 Sport in town today. Huge hole rusted in his bumper in the corner. I would have thought there would be someone on here with this issue.

This is what i thought about getting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUMPE...item2a03769c86
so you know, that is a bumper, not just a cover
they have a rust treatment from the factory, but that only prevents rust during shipping so you will need to paint or have it painted. i'd recommend getting it painted in body color.. just for looks

Old 01-03-2010, 11:06 AM
RoaminGnome
All Star

Well my front is still good, even with the holes i drilled for my hellas. My rear how ever is losing the fight. Ima take it off this spring and angle grider the hell outta it and prime under coat (its rubberized and fits the look im going for ) then paint that black because it fades REAL quick.

If you do fix the rust just be sure you get rid of it all before you paint. I half assed it the first time so now I need to do it again

Quick Reply: 2000 Rusty bumper fix?