2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

help with running power cable through firewall

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:00 PM
B-Rack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with running power cable through firewall

hey guys i have a 1998 dodge dakota and im putting in a amp and i need to run my power to the batt and i dont want to have to drill thru the firewall. is there anywhere i can run an 8awg wire thru an existing hole?

Old 01-01-2010, 07:08 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there should be a gromet by the pedals that you can feed the wire through.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:40 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

8s easy,. theres a large bundle of wires from the fusebox that runs through a grommet, you should be able to just push the end of the wire into the grommet with the other wires

Old 01-01-2010, 08:17 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

In the corner of the engine bay between the master cylinder and the driver's side hood hinge is a large rubber grommet that the main wire harness passes through. You can cut a small hole in the side of the grommet and run the wire through there. If it's hard to get it through the hole or you have trouble getting your hand in there to feed it through, cut off a straight piece of a wire coat hanger and use electical tape to tape it to the end of your wire. Then you can push the coat hanger thru the hole you cut and pull it through from inside the cab. It helps to grease the taped area with vaseline or a little wheel bearing grease to help get it through.

Be sure to fuse your power wire connection within 6 or 8 inches from the battery post to prevent a fire hazard if there ever is a short in the wire.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:30 PM
B-Rack

thank you very much. il have to try that tomorow if its not snowing to hard. i bought a kit from rockfor fosgate with the inline fuse so im all set. i just havent been able to find an easy way to run the cable.

Quick Reply: help with running power cable through firewall