2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 Dakota that won't Start. No spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:14 AM
ischboff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dakota that won't Start. No spark

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota with about 101K miles. Recently it will not start. Had some issues intermittently, changed the spark plugs and things where better, for a while. Then I noticed the new starting problems, where when it was wet. So I took a look and replaced the Rotor and the Distributor Cap. Still no success but noticed that when I was replacing those I had some corrosion on one of the terminals so I assumed I had some corrosion in the Spark Plug Wire and replaced all them. Still no luck. Moved to the Ignition Coil, it tests out fine but no power to the coil. Did some more homework online and found information about an Automatic Shutdown Relay (ASD). Swamped that relay out still no luck (also tested all Fuses). Any suggestions on where else to look? I think I have seen something about a Crankshaft Position Sensor that feeds info to the ASD relay.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you have any diagnostic trouble codes stored from the PCM? If the crankshaft position sensor (ckp) is bad the asd relay will interrupt fuel to the injectors and the ignition coil and the truck won't start. Code for the crankshaft position sensor is P0320. Code for the ASD is P1388 or P1389.

On the 2001 you can turn the ignition key to run then off, run then off, run then leave it in run and then any trouble codes you have will show in the odometer display. You have to turn the key on and off 3 times and leave it in on after the 3rd time. Or you can read it with a code reader. Some parts stores, like Advance Auto Parts will read codes for you for free.

The Haynes book has some pretty decent info about the sensor and the codes for it. The 2001 Dodge service manual in the sticky at the top of this page has info on both the ASD and CKP. I read here you can download it free from some site in the sticky, but I don't know how well that works. The test procedure for testing the ckp sensor itself looks complicated. Checking for codes is the easiest way to tell what is really wrong but with having no voltage at the coil I would say you are on the right track looking at the crankshaft position sensor. If you need it, I can mail you a copy of the Dodge Service Manual on CD. I got a copy of it from here a while back when it was posted online. Some guy from Chrysler made the guy that posted the manual take down the link, because of copyrights I guess. If you want it, just PM me your name and address and I'll drop you a cd in the mail.

You saying the truck has problems starting when it is wet really makes me think the crankshaft position sensor is bad. There is a rubber grommet around it where it mounts in the block near the bellhousing and if that grommet is deteriorated or torn, when it rains I bet that the sensor gets wet and the PCM gets no ckp signal so the truck won't start. If it is the ckp that's bad it might be good to see if you can get a new grommet for it too. If it is the ckp that's bad be sure to do a hard reset on the PCM to clear the codes after you replace the ckp. That's easy to do with a code reader or you can just disconnect the negative battery cable and hold the ignition key in the start position for about 30 seconds and that will clear the codes. And I read once before that it's good to use the original bolts that held the sensor in the block, something about the threads being turned the right length to not contact the flywheel or something like that.

Check it out and let us know what you find. I also have a 2001 and I'm interested to see if the ckp is what's really wrong. I am assuming your engine is a 3.9 and I checked online here in Florida and Autozone is the only parts store that has it, $44.00 if you have an automatic and $94.00 if you have a 5-speed. Advance and Napa don't list it on their sites. If you have a Carquest in your town maybe they might have it too.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 01-05-2010 at 08:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Revenant (09-03-2021)
Old 01-06-2010, 11:49 AM
ischboff

No check Engine light and no codes stored based on the code reader.

Sorry Yes it is 3.9 L V6 Manual Trans
I do have a Haynes Book. looks like I may have to test this out the hard way since I am not getting any codes.

and now it won't start Wet or Dry.

this is just way to much fun trying to figure this out.

thanks for your help

Old 01-06-2010, 02:19 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

No codes and no CEL but won't start. And no voltage present at the coil. And I really don't think the ckp is all that common a problem on our trucks. At least not from what I have read here.

If the battery voltage is OK I would have to think maybe the PCM itself is bad which wouldn't allow anything on the engine to work at all. No coil, no fuel, nothing. Usually when the PCM is bad it will say "No Bus" on the odometer code check. Did the odometer read "P done" when you did the 3 times on-off thing? That's what it says when there are no codes stored in a working PCM. I wonder if a code scanner would tell for sure. I think if this were my truck I would buy a cheap code reader and see if it gives any codes that way. Other than a bad PCM I have no idea what would cause the truck to be completely dead and show no codes at all. There are places you can buy a PCM online. There's a good one here in Florida, but I don't know the name of it. Can probably find it on Google though.

Please post back with what you find. I am really interested in this now.

Jimmy

Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 AM
ischboff

Got the Truck running this last weekend and I have Jimmy to thank for it. For some reason the Code reader we were using was not giving us any codes. I tried the Key on and off three times and got a code to display in the Odometer. P0320 Basically means the PCM was not getting a signal form the Crank shaft Sensor. Replaced the sensor and the truck fired right up. Which considering I have been battling with this for over 3 weeks and the truck has been sitting in the Driveway all that time in sub freezing temps, not bad.

Learned a lot about my truck.

Jimmy you’re a Genius thanks for your help

Old 01-12-2010, 06:12 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Glad to know you got it figured out and back running again. Just curious, did the new sensor come with a new grommet? And was your grommet torn or anything or was it just a bad sensor? And did you receive the manual I sent?

Jimmy

Old 02-03-2010, 07:08 AM
shadow_knows
Default Thanks for replying on my no start thread

ON OUR 99 DAKOTA WE REPLACED THE 3.9 FROM A 2000 DODGE VAN AND USED THE INJECTORS FROM THE ORIGINAL INTAKE DUE TO THE HARNESS yet after changing the coil ,pickup coil & cam shaft sensor we still have no fire from the coil to plugs, so we are asking if the Flashpaq 3865 T may resolve ECU issues since we have NO DTS codes using the handheld INNOVA OBDII. I guess we could have anotehr CPS , but the engine cranks always.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Baby Blue

Did you get it going yet? Not sure if Dodge has an ignition module but sure sounds like what happened on my GMC. Ignition module run about $80.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dakota that won't Start. No spark