2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dakota problems - knocking and sqeaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Arbitratur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2002 Dakota problems - knocking and sqeaking

I have a 2002 Dakota. The transmission went on it not that long ago. So I ended up getting my tranny rebuilt. I had pulled it out and put it back in by myself. A couple days after i started noticing a slight "squeaking" noise. Almost sounds like something needs grease or something to that effect. it has gotten gradually worse and now does it pretty much all of the time. Doesnt affect how it drives though. Just today, probably about a month later, it started to knock. it started about half way through my trip to work this morning. It only does it while it is in drive, and has only gotten worse while keeping on driving it. The steering wheel shakes a bit while in the higher speeds as well as a louder knock. and last but not least, it seems like about 1/2 the times i am going into 3rd gear it revs a little extra before switching. This did this before the transmission went also. Fluids are now clean since the replace and are at good levels. Anyone have any ideas about any of this. sorry about the whole paragraph haha.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:28 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe a drive-shaft is hitting something or a bad U-Joint. Sorry but you got to go underneath and take a look.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Arbitratur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i jumped under there yesterday but didnt see anything offhand so i figured id post on here to figure out where to start looking

Old 01-14-2010, 06:36 AM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better get under there and make sure everything is tight. Converter bolts, bellhousing bolts, U-joints, everything. Sounds as if something is not in proper alignment and if it gets worse with more speed and is now knocking you could be causing major damage somewhere.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dakota problems - knocking and sqeaking