2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

03 Dakota squealing coming from front tires.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 AM
ah89drums
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Dakota squealing coming from front tires.

I have a 2003 4.7LV8 dakota, 4x4, manual transmission, and just the other day i noticed that when i turn the wheel to the left or right when stopped it produces a loud squealing noise. It sounds worse when turning to the left. When I am moving at slow speeds it seems to only squeal when i turn the wheel right (I don't notice a squeal turning the wheel left). The squeal only lasts as long as i turn the wheel (when I stop turning wheel the squealing stops)

I'm not sure if im just paranoid, but since i noticed the squealing when I turn the wheel, it seems that driving (straight-lines) on a bumpy road produces the same squeal. Driving on smoother roads, i do not notice a squeal.

What could possibly be problem?

Last edited by ah89drums; 01-14-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 2nd Generation Dakota Sub-Forum.

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 01-14-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: 2nd Gen Dak :)
Old 01-14-2010, 06:21 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

do you have bigger tires on the truck? or different rims on it? my truck squeaks like all hell when i have the summer tires on because the rims are different and it throws the scrub radius all off. you might have a similar issue.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 AM
ah89drums

I think I solved the problem... I believe I was just low on power steering fluid. Since I added some I have not heard the noise. But regardless I still looked all around and behind the front wheels, trying to notice any irregularities.

I did notice that when I had the wheels turned all the way, the tire was very close to the wheel well on the front and backside. There was some dirt and ice packed in the wheel well, figuring that it was just the ice that made it look so close i cleared some of it out by hand. But I was wrong. It was so close that when i put my hand in there my ring got caught between the wheel well and the tire and pulled it off! Meaning there's little more than an inch clearance. There's significantly more clearance when the wheels are straightened.

Is this normal? I never noticed such little clearance on other vehicles of mine. Could it be that the prior owner put tires on that are bigger than what's called for? I have heard of people doing this to give their trucks a beefier look without investing in a lift.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Joecava

My truck just started making a squealing noise when I turn left only. I will have to check the power steering fluid. I have the factory size tires on my truck also. I think that the clearance is fairly close as it is stock. If you put larger tires on it the tires would normally rub on a few things before hitting the steering lock.

Have you heard the noise anymore since??

Old 02-26-2010, 08:16 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ah89drums
I think I solved the problem... I believe I was just low on power steering fluid. Since I added some I have not heard the noise. But regardless I still looked all around and behind the front wheels, trying to notice any irregularities.

I did notice that when I had the wheels turned all the way, the tire was very close to the wheel well on the front and backside. There was some dirt and ice packed in the wheel well, figuring that it was just the ice that made it look so close i cleared some of it out by hand. But I was wrong. It was so close that when i put my hand in there my ring got caught between the wheel well and the tire and pulled it off! Meaning there's little more than an inch clearance. There's significantly more clearance when the wheels are straightened.

Is this normal? I never noticed such little clearance on other vehicles of mine. Could it be that the prior owner put tires on that are bigger than what's called for? I have heard of people doing this to give their trucks a beefier look without investing in a lift.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, low PS fluid will do that. Just make sure to keep an eye on it incase its leaking or anything...

And it's ok to have just a little clearence between your tires and wheel wells. As long as they aren't rubbing its no big deal. Especially since its only when your wheel is turned all the way. The only time your wheel is turned all the way is when you are parking or going very slow and turning around, so its not like you run the risk of the suspension bouncing and causing the wheel to rub real hard. Not a big deal.

Quick Reply: 03 Dakota squealing coming from front tires.