2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fatal Carwash

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 AM
pjkeeku
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatal Carwash

It all started about a year ago, my cousin took his 2001 dakota through the carwash, sounds inocent enough, but it sucked enough water through the kota hood scoop to hydro lock the #8 cylinder and put a rod through the block.

We bought a used engine from the junkyard had it rebuilt at the machine shop and installed (investment at this point 4800) Only to find out that it is a newer 4.7 with a 32 tooth tone ring and not a 16 tooth tone ring.

Then we took it back to the junkyard to see what was up with the wrong engine they sold us. They said they could make it work, and after 8 months they got it running, but intermitant at best.

Now I have trouble code P0725, crank sensor malfunction, and the last place to have it thinks it is out of mechanical time. When it does idle it does not sound bad, and personally I think the problems are more electrical than mechanical.

Has anyone had simular problems with an engine swap like this?

Any advise?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 01-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well depending on what they did it could be the cause. Tons of possibilities. Check all wires. If they used that wrong tooth engine then that will have to swapped out. Or swap out a computer and wires from the new engine.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:47 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The wrong tone ring can be swapped out for the right one and it will work fine. I know this for a fact because dbilik has done it (hopefully he will post a comment in this thread). If the rings were swapped, and it still doesn't work, there is another problem!

Quick Reply: Fatal Carwash