2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Squeak-part 2!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 04:13 AM
hoobasta4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak-part 2!

Okay.. So here's the thing. Found out that the "squeak" a while back were some bushings that weren't greased enough or at all. Well that took care of the squeak for a while. Then it got bad. Found out that the new tie rod end was making a rubbing inside the new ball joint because they are non greaseable. So I got warranty and they replaced it again, with a "new" design he said?! I guess dodge had the older design (which they replaced it with first) and then replaced it with the new one the second time around. For what reason, I really don't know. So far, the "grind/creeking" sound and feeling in the steering went a way (or at least for tonite, right?). I did a ton of left hand turns, slow and fast, and no feeling anymore. So I went to my girlfriends around 7:30 and drove home around 12. Came to a stop, turned left and the squeak was there, A LITTLE BIT when I hit a bump in the road turning left (not while I was driving straight). The grind/creek feeling wasn't there, but the original squeak was. And if you remember he said the bushings were making that noise, but then later the tie rod end was? I'm getting so confused. Do you think that the "new" squeak I heard tonight was the bushings again? Because after he greased the bushings, he said it might come back, because he didn't think that the grease in the old bushings would last long. So they were going to put in the new bushings (hadn't yet). I hope the squeak is from the bushings so that when they get replaced the squeak is gone for good. Its only when I turn left and when the suspension hits (such had a bump in the road, going up an incline like a driveway, etc.) Like I said, otherwise the old problem of the grind/creeking feeling in the steering wheel is gone. Any help guys???? PLEASE!! I'm not happy with the truck right now. Only had it for 3 months now and I'd say its been in the shop 1/4 of the time. ANY other dakota owners that have had this problem at all??? I just got the entire rack replaced (luckily I didn't have to pay for it at all), and ever since then the tie rod portion has been killing me. The right side hasn't made a sound and they say that it is just fine. But the left is driving me nuts!!!!!!! HELP GUYS, PLEASE??!!?!?!

A dissatisfied Dakota owner

Hooby

Old 04-20-2005, 09:52 AM
mayorofthelake
Default RE: Squeak-part 2!

From one extremely dissatisfied Dodge customer to another, might I ask what year your Dakota is just in case I run into that problem next??

Old 04-20-2005, 04:34 PM
hoobasta4
Rookie

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 Ext. Cab 4.7 V8

I think I'm going to sell it already. Had it for 3 months, and like I said, it's been in the shop AT LEAST 1/4 of the time. BULL****.

Hooby

Old 04-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Flywheel

DAk front ends are ****, no question, but I have the same truck, with no problems, it does just sound like your bushing. Did you buy it from a Chrysler dealer or a used car joint?

Old 04-21-2005, 08:13 PM
hoobasta4
Rookie

I was stupid and bought it at a used car joint, but at least she helped me out by paying for the rack and the install. I had to pay for the new tie rod end and stuff. They replaced it last time and then replaced it again because it was making noise. The second one they put in was the "new" design. But what you can do it turn the wheels left. put the truck in park and shut it off (or leave it on, just easier to hear with it off) and you can push down on the front end as if the suspension was "hitting". It squeaks pretty good. Then if you have another guy, the second guy can hold the tie rod end and twist it with his hand while the first guy pushes repeatedly down on the front end. You could do this when they replaced it the first time. And while the second guy twists the tie rod end you can change the pitch of the squeak or make it go away sometimes. So I think it is more than the bushings (which also could squeak too). Not to forget to mention that I had to drive an hour to Wausau, WI, and and hour home and everytime I turned left and hit a bump or an incline you could hear it and feel it in the steering a little bit. I honestly think that the ball joints that I got replaced are bad already. I have heard of a few cases that the "new" ball joints replaced under the recall can be bad already. I'm getting sick of this. I don't like driving long distances, but like I did last night, when I had to drive there. I try to make as many right hand turns as I can unless I have to make a left hand turn. AHHHH Yes, the Dak's front end is complete ****, but then replacing parts should make things better AKA fixed! Any other suggestions? I keep taking it to the same shop because they did the warranty work on the rack and when they replaced my tie rod end for the second time under warranty (but if you noticed, it still didn't fix the problem). So I'm just all confused. I'm thinking about taking it to the dodge dealership BUT.. I stopped there yesterday and stood in the service department for I'd say a good 20 minutes. Finally someone helped me. One of the mechanics was just standing there and talkin too a guy about stupid **** and the other one was outside having a smoke. And when I asked the guy at the counter if someone could just come listen to my truck, he looked at the guy talking and remember that the other guy was smoking. he had the nerve to tell me that everyone was on break!! at 3pm in the afternoon?? And NO one could help me for a few seconds? Just to possibly give me a reason?

To be exact, the one guy talkin to his buddy about girls?! I mean COME ON! and a smoke is more important than work!

So help me out here guys, otherwise I'll never be a "dodge guy" again.

Hooby