2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM
jeansmith01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights

I have a 2001 dodge dakota. I recently had the brake pads repalce and the rotors turned and now my brake lights do not work. Is there a sensor that maybe got unplugged or any other ideas. I have checked the fuses and replaced the bulbs already.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:05 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

No there are no sensors for the brake lights. It sounds like maybe the tech that did the brake job unplugged the brake light switch for some reason. The switch is up at the top of the brake pedal arm, attached to the steering column brace. I would check there first then check the 2 wire harness plugs under the back end of the bed to be sure the tech didn't unplug it there. That is pretty unlikely though.

If the switch and the light harnesses are plugged in but you still have no brake lights, it is possible you just have a bad brake light switch that coincidentally failed when the brake job was done. Or it may have failed before then and you may not have been aware the brake lights were not working. If they worked before the brake job and you don't feel like checking it yourself, maybe you could take it back to the shop that did the brake job. There should be some kind of warranty period for their work.

Jimmy

Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 PM
jeansmith01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new switch tonight, I will put it in in the morning and let you know. Thank you for the info.

Quick Reply: Brake lights