2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Exterior Fan Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 PM
SpencerS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior Fan Noise

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2000 dodge dakota 4.7l v8, and ever since i got it the exterior fan noise completely overpowers the sound of the truck. I had my buddy sit in the truck and rev it for me, all i could here was that damn fan. I cant even here the nice magnaflow i just put on it.

Is this normal for the 4.7 v8s in dakotas?
is there a certain fan i can buy to reduce the amount of noise it emits?

thanks for your time.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:06 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You need a new fan clutch. When mine is cold it sounds like a tank going down the road then about 200-300 yards down the road it is off and you can hear it another option is to loose the fan and install a electric fan

Old 02-21-2010, 04:33 AM
macx

After having a good sized electric fan for a couple years now, I'm a firm believer.

When I installed mine, I used a Lincoln Mark VIII fan as it was about the biggest air mover available at the time without going brand name aftermarket and spending a huge bunch of $. Got it good used for under $100 with a little shopping online, on parts searches. New oem brand motors are available most any parts store, too.

Being it draws pretty good, I used a relay but also a soft start variable speed Flex A Lite controller which works like an absolute charm.

I understand the hot setup now for hot street is the Chev (forgive please!)
HHR electric fan available new at Rock Auto for quite reasonable.

Here's my write-up. (Never mind that it's on a Durango -)
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1...d6a8b02d5bbda4

Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 PM
SpencerS
Captain

so i probably would want to buy a electric fan setup if the sound of the fan completely overpowers the sound of the truck no matter if its cold or warmed up already?

it only roars like a tank when it jumps into the passing gear while driving. But im not talking about the roaring sound, just the static sound of the fan blowing.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:52 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by SpencerS
so i probably would want to buy a electric fan setup if the sound of the fan completely overpowers the sound of the truck no matter if its cold or warmed up already?

it only roars like a tank when it jumps into the passing gear while driving. But im not talking about the roaring sound, just the static sound of the fan blowing.
You need a new fan clutch. Yours is seized up making it spin full speed no matter the engine temp.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:04 PM
SpencerS
Captain

oh, ok. Forgive my technical appurtenance, I will replace the fan clutch and update from there. Thank you for your time and advice.

Quick Reply: Exterior Fan Noise