2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

CAI opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 12:29 AM
stonecoldcrazy663
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI opinions

I was lookin for a CAI on my dak 3.9L and I went on ebay and found a bunch of them, but I was wondering, is it ok for the filter element to be open in the engine bay? I ask this because isnt the air really hot in there? or is the 3.9 a cooler running engine? Ive heard that a CAI like this CAI on ebay will hurt performance cuz it is sucking hot air, is that true? Would this be eonough to stop the heat? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38634 Should I just get a K&N drop in repl. for my stock airbox? or is one of those CAI like the one in the link ok?

P.S. Is one of these worth it? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38634 with one of those hear shields on each side?

Old 04-28-2005, 01:40 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker
Default RE: CAI opinions

Honestly I wouldnt waste my money on that. Kid next door put one on his Cavalier and it made it run worse.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:12 AM
reconstrucktion
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about investing your money in something like k&n. . . It's kind of steep but its noticeable performance. . . You get what you pay for. . . my two cents

Old 05-04-2005, 12:20 PM
5.2dakotaslt

I do not think it would be beneficial unless you had some sort of heat shield blocking the heat from the engine and isolates it to the front right corner where it pulls cooler air from the fender. I didnt want to bother with this because the cost doesnt outway the gains enough for me to care, so I got a drop-in K&N. My last car was 99' GSR Integra and I had a nice intake on it that I had running down away from the motor with a nice heatshield. Also the pipe was made out of a hard plastic type material that made it less prone to heat soak.

Quick Reply: CAI opinions