2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

TIE ROD

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:10 AM
hoobasta4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIE ROD

OKAY, so this is the last draw with this stupid thing. So the guys I keep going to, to fix my truck replaced my tie rod twice. The second time they warranted it from the first time. Well it hadn't done anything for about a week (aka made a squeak or a creak). Now the "creaking" in the steering is back and the squeaks and stuff are back when I turn left as well. Once again, you can either have the steering wheel so that the wheels are either straight or turned to the left. with the truck off, you can push down on the front end and hear the squeak. If you get another guy on the bottom, he can hold the tie rod and gently turn it to change the pitch of the squeak or make it go away. And YES, it is in the tie rod end that connect to the ball joint because you can feel it when you hold on to it too.

Ever since companies went to "greaseless" parts, this is what happens. Things grind and there is no grease to stop the friction and sounds. So now what do I do? It all started with the ball joints (which I got replaced under the recall). So I wasn't mad about that at all. Then they say my rack and pinion are shot. Got that replaced from the dealer that I bought it from. And now the tie rod. This has been going on for about a month. I'm pissed at dodge. I've already spend a good $200 on replacement and such, not to mention the alignments that cost $50 extra. So I'm taking it to a VERY TRUSTWORTHY buddy of mine. Him and his dad own their own car repair shop. They are EXCELLENT. If they can't get it fixed I'm going to get rid of the POS. I've said that I love this thing, but after all this ****, I really hate it. And I can tell you that I'll be going back to GM for sure. Hell, all my family has GM and so do all my co workers and they have NO problems. My dad has a 99 GMC suburban with 163,000 miles and has had minor repairs done.. just don't get it?! I have 44,000 miles and have had this many problems? I mean c'mon! If Dodge (Chrysler) has this many problems, why not FIX THEM! I was totally happy with my 95 Avenger, but this has made me hate Dodge. I'm definetly writing to Dodge about this. Its horrible.

I don't think the dealer should be to blame fully. Because these problems maybe weren't apparent when inspecting the truck or whatnot, but even still, a vehicle with 44,000 miles has this many problems? And ALSO, when I'm going between 40-50 MPH my truck feels like it has a wheel wobbling! know what I mean.. feels like it's kinda "shaking" or that maybe the tranny is acting strange.

Maybe all these problems are only on the Dakota, but it makes you wonder what kind of problems all the other vehicles might have. I've owned this truck for 3 months. Its just horrible.

I don't mean to sound like an ***, but I don't need you guys saying "well vehicles have problems...", "you bought it used..", etc. Because I understand all that stuff. But realize that no matter if you buy it used, or that vehicles have problems no matter what you have, something with this low amount of miles and having one owner, just really pisses me off. My friend that I'm taking the truck to said I should never have a problem like this with ONLY 44,000. ****, you should't ever have to replace the rack unless you beat the **** out of the truck too!

I'm gonna stop bitching, because it does me no good on here right? Sorry that you guys had to read this.

THE MOST DISSAPOINTED & DISSATISFIED DODGE OWNER,

Hooby

P.S. If anyone has any insight on these problems, seriously let me know. Otherwise I'm gonna start looking at new trucks tomorrow night.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:20 AM
reconstrucktion
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TIE ROD

Well. . . Man, that sucks dude. . . I feel for ya hey. . . If it makes you feel any better Yesterday i lost 650 dollars. . . seriously gone down the drain bye bye no more money for ***** thats what happens when the person that reminds you to take your focus factor is on vacation. . . sucks for me huh. its but then again it really makes me [:@]

Old 04-28-2005, 05:06 AM
hoobasta4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TIE ROD

honestly.. as stupid as it sounds.. it feels good to hear comments like that.. what I mean is that at least you say "sorry man, I feel for ya hey" and stuff. I don't need to be pittied, but it just cool that ya understand. And damn dude.. I know exactly what you mean by losing that much money, except I lost more.. I lost $1500, so beat that lol I don't like to say I laugh about it, but its been a while, so I do haha

Hooby