2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1998 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:46 AM
gambler12
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dakota

Might be trading my '95 Dakota 4x4 Ext. cab on a '98 Dakota 4x4. Both have the 318 engine. I'm familiar with problems on the 1st generation Dakota's, what should I know about the 2nd generation Dakota's. All input appreciated.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the "problems" I have encountered over the 110,000 or so miles I have accumulated (and it is a pretty limited set, IMHO):

Exhaust will rot out if your locale uses salt to melt snow.

Speedometer has a tendency to malfunction owing to a failed speed sensor in the rear end. Easy fix that takes about 10 minutes.

Anti-lock sensors up front will fail. Might as well replace the whole hub. Another easy and cheap fix.

Is it a stick or auto? I have had absolutely zero issues with my 5 speed. But, I have not heard the same thing about the autos. I have found, however, that the manual likely increases the rate at which tires are consumed

At about 150,000 miles, I replaced front suspension parts (ball joints, shocks, etc). I chalk that up to normal maintenance though.

My fenders are beginning to rot out up front. But, it is 11 years old and I drive in salty winter conditions, so I suppose that is expected as well. I am not sure it would be any different on any other vehicle. You can find them for less than $50 if you dig around a bit. A little paint and a little time, and it should be good as new.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dakota