2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Manifold Tick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 PM
SpencerS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manifold Tick?

I am having a slight problem here. Whenever i start my truck up cold i hear a ticking sound, it ticks faster when i rev it up. But whats weird is it goes away once the truck is warmed up.

You think i have a leak in my headers or do i need to take it to a muffler shop and have them check that donut gasket thingamabob?

forgive my technical appurtenance.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:02 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

It's your valve train, I forget what part exactly. Nothing to worry about.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 PM
tiger8522
Amateur

I had the same problem last summer; I started it up one morning and had a bad tick that would go away once the engine was warm. Come to find out after doing some research the exhaust bolts break. I would start up the truck it would tick until it was warm and then stop. I had 2 bolts that broke off. I got really lucky and was able to get the 2 bolts off without having to tap them but I have heard horror stories of trying to get the bolts off if they break down inside the block.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:10 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

I would guess it is either a broken bolt on the exhaust manifold causing the heat shield and/or manifold to vibrate

OR

if the tick is coming from the valve train it could be the lash adjusters. If it is the exhaust, then you can fix it. If the lash adjusters, I think it is considered "normal" or "common" and can be ignored.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 PM
SpencerS
Captain

Ok, i will check the bolts and stuff on the headers and whatnot tommorow when its light out.

If all the bolts are well and its just the valve train then thank god i dont have to spend any money to repair it, BUT it is kind of annoying when my buddies are like "wtf is that ugly ticking noise".

But then again, none of their trucks can out run my dakota so they are just jealous of my baby.

Quick Reply: Manifold Tick?