2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Stall when put in gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:01 AM
mksanders
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall when put in gear

Hello all,
New to the forum. Appreciate any help here. I searched past post but couldn't come up with anything. Please Help.

Vehicle Description:
1998 Dakota
V6 (3.9) 4x4 Ext Cab Automatic

Bought the vehichle a few months ago with some known tranny issues(is this a given on all dakotas? lol). Other than vehicle is in great shape for the model and price.

prob seller told me: slips out gear at times, abs, check engine, brake light on.( figured this was the rear axle sensor?)

found problem: Test drove and it drove GREAT! Bought the vehicle and driving home. Stopped at gas station for a little fuel....started fine but stalls out when put in gear. A couple times it drive it started in D1. Made it home but stalled while in gear...even in D1.(well all gears) While trying to rev engine and putting in rev I blew a front seal. Tran fluid flowed.

So I replaced seals. While I had tranny out I also replaced Tranny filter and gasket. Examined internals and looked ok.

Test drove yesterday and it shifted like a dream. Thought I was doing good. But after driving for about 5 minutes.....I came to a stop....and it stalled again. Would crank easily. But when I put it in any gear it would stall

But there were no lights on as before. No check engine No ABS etc.

Things I noticed:

The cable on the TV lever(on tranny) is slack? Is this normal?
The cable at the Thottle body (the TV cable and the one beside it) is a little slack as well?

Should I go ahead and replace the rear speed sensor first? When I tested it I thought it was bad? I will retest. But why didnt it throw a check engine light??

Please help:

Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:16 PM
miggity

Typically the front speed sensor will throw a check engine light, the rear one throws the ABS and Brake light. Another thing that will throw the ABS and Brake light is a PCM that hasn't been programmed with VIN and Mileage. This can also lead to stalling once the vehicle reaches operating temperature (approx 5 mins depending on where you live).

Remember that the truck is in closed loop until it reaches operating temperature, so your issue may also be sensor related. I would definitely get it scanned and see what kind of codes are lurking in there. Could be something as simple as having the VIN and mileage flashed, or just a quick sensor swap. Good luck!

- miggity

Old 03-16-2010, 09:31 AM
mksanders
Default Thanks additional info

Could the stall be from an O2 sensor?

The previous owner said it was throwing an o2 code? Will get it scanned as soon as I can.

Also, what is the stock gear ratio for a 98 4x4? Or how do I find out my gear ratio?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:06 AM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

My truck is a bit different, being a 5.2 and a manual, but I remember the symptoms when BOTH the front and rear speed sensors went out at the same time...

No speedometer, truck would not run for anything, check engine light and ABS light.

Your symptoms do not seem to match what I experienced when those sensors went out on my truck. But, I wonder, is it possible that your sensors are "failing" but not yet completely broken? That is, is it possible for these sensors to work sometimes but not others? I have no idea if this can happen or not, but this sounds like it is still an intermittent problem as opposed to an "its completely broken and will not ever work again problem." Maybe someone else knows?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:57 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mksanders
Could the stall be from an O2 sensor?

The previous owner said it was throwing an o2 code? Will get it scanned as soon as I can.

Also, what is the stock gear ratio for a 98 4x4? Or how do I find out my gear ratio?
Look in your glove box for gear ratio. In my 98 thats where mine is. Not only will it tell you what gears you have but will also tell you what tranny and transfer case you have along with what size brakes and paint code

Old 03-16-2010, 07:36 PM
miggity

Another thing to consider is the 02 sensors. They could be bad or they could be the horrible Bosch ones from Autozone. The Bosch ones are known to fail and/or give inaccurate readings causing similar symptoms. Best bet is to get some OEM ones from ma Mopar.

- miggity

Quick Reply: Stall when put in gear