2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Lifter noise, is it common?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 PM
KatyA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An by the by - it's an overhead cam, so it can't be lifters as it doesn't have any. lol. Just throwing that out there from the comments above.

Last edited by KatyA; 04-14-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:40 AM
PatBluDakota
Default No lifters?

Actually, it's got lifters, and they probably are ticking. The over head cam design just means that it doesn't have pushrods. I've already replaced the exhaust manifold bolts on the passenger side of my 02 4x4 Sport, and it made a huge improvement. The bolts shearing is a common problem with the 4.7, and I found the telltale scorch mark next to the manifold flange by the rear-most cylinder. Thankfully, the remains of the broken bolts came out with minimal effort and didn't require drilling.

My lifter noise comes and goes (more likely when the engine is cold), and seems to nearly disappear when I use a friction-reducing additive with my synthetic blend oil changes.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:28 AM
QuadCabDak

You'r lucky your broken bolts came out. I had one broken off at the heead of the bolt and one broke off at the block. That one wouldn't budge so I had to jack up the engine so I could get at the bolt at the right angle to drill it out and retap it, what a job.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:30 AM
QuadCabDak

About the ticking, I'll take it into school and I'll use the stethoscope and get advice from the teachers. Hopefully it's nothing more serious then lifters.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:13 PM
TylerH860

My 2001 did it from brand new, so does my 2002 now. Same goes for many other brands I own or previously owned, including GMC, Mazda, Mercedes, BMW, etc. Its the trade off of having hydraulic lifters. No more valve adjustments, but they can get noisy when cold.

Quick Reply: Lifter noise, is it common?