2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

engine rebuild. main caps worn.. can i still rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:37 PM
984x4dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine rebuild. main caps worn.. can i still rebuild?

hi everyone, need some help. bought a 5.2l v8 1996 for my dakota.. owner said it needed crank bearings.. he gave me a new crank as well as the complete engine, two torque converters and a 2wd tranny that i didnt need all for just $200. i took engine home disassembled and found that one of my main caps had wear from the crank hitting it.. as well as the block.. this will be located on the back side of the #2 main cap.
photo of main cap.
Attachment 8452
crank photo..
Attachment 8453

all i want to do is throw in some new crank bearings. and a new crank.. is this possible.. or is the block and main caps junk now..

also what could have cause this. the previous owner says he just recently re ringed &bearing it.. is this result of improper installation or worn out crank..

thanks in advance..

Last edited by 984x4dakota; 05-22-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:14 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm....

Looks like the thrust bearing went. Make sure that gets replaced.

As for the bearing caps, I don't see how that could be bad, but it could. See if you can find an over sized thrust bearing for the end.

I, personally, would find a local machine shop, one that specializes in engines, and bring them the pictures, AND the bear caps. I'd ask what they thought and if it can be handled with an over sized (or undersized) thrust bearing.

Also, check the bearing bore. Have it honed if needed. With that amount of movement, the bearing bore may be oval shaped now. How do the rest of the old bearings look? Snap some pics of them and what bearing cap they came from. I'd like to see them if you can. Also snap a pic of the thrust bearing, and the thrust bearing surface on the crank.

That wear is most likely causing by improper installation, or improper block prep (measurements, etc.).

Why was the engine re-ringed? As is piston rings, right? Why did he do that? Did he have the piston bores honed? Did he even make sure there was a cross hatch? Did he replace the thrust bearing when he did the rest of the bearings? Was the bearing cap bolts torques properly and in the correct sequence? Was the crank measured for excessive end play? What it measured for out of round?

BTW, that crank is no good anymore. Deff needs a new crank. Glad you got one with it.

If I remember anything else I'll add, but for now, thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:11 PM
984x4dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its only the #2 bearing cap the others are fine. as for #1 it looks like it was about to get it also.. all bearings look good except #2 and #1. the guy didnt know much about what he was doing from what i spoke to him about it earlier.. more then likely every thing you just questioned he didnt do.. at least i got some accessories i can sell and junk the rest.. machine shops two hours away.. dont think its worth messing with and then turn out badly and more loss on money.. looks like a quick hone job was done.. connecting rods look fine as well as those bearings.. is there much of a market for selling at least the pistons and rods..??? thanks for your info by the way.. at least i didnt buy new bearings and dive into a mess..

Old 04-19-2010, 11:21 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, a drive to the machine shop might be worth it. Especially for the price you paid for the motor. I'm not sure if that block is salvageable or not, but it might be. Again though, your choice.

Not sure about the market for used pistons. There probably is one, but are the pistons all within measurements? Are the wrist pins okay? Anything look really worn out? I mean, to be honest, I wouldn't buy used pistons. Once they have mileage on them, they really don't like working in another block so much. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but, I personally wouldn't buy used pistons.

If the heads are good, those are definitely sell-able. Big market for used heads. Used cam shafts are also sell-able. I'[d sell that new crank as well. You could easily make your $200 back on the heads, crank and cam alone I think.

But honestly, If you have the time, I'd bring those pictures and bearing caps to the machine shop. It's only a drive for free information. And, if you do end up selling parts, you can get your money back for the $200 and the gas to drive to the machine shop, and then still have the transmission left over.

Quick Reply: engine rebuild. main caps worn.. can i still rebuild?