2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2004 Air in Power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:57 AM
tspeed109
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2004 Air in Power steering pump

I recently replaced the power steering pump and the rack and pinion on my 2004 Dodge dakota and it steers hard but when I take off the power steering cap it steers great.
How can I get all the air out of the system so it steers good?
I replaced the pump first then I replaced the rack because I was told that the valves in the rack and pinion were sticking causing the air in the pump.
When I take off the power steering cap it is pressurized.

any help will be greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance
Troy
I have already turned the wheels both ways with the cap off to get the pressure out with no luck. If I drive it with the power steering cap off it turns good but with the cap on the wheel is hard to turn.
Do I have a bad power steering pump? I have already put on 2 pumps from advanced auto parts.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:33 AM
SpencerS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they rebuild old power steering pumps and it is possible to get a couple bad ones. My first one was bad and had to be replaced.

Try jacking the front end up and turning the wheel both ways, helps it get all the last little bits of air out. Also check the lines hooked up to the pump, they could be cloged.

Is the power steering fluid foaming at all?

Old 04-27-2010, 01:01 PM
tspeed109
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my power steering fluid is not foaming at all but I will try to see if advanced auto parts will get me another pump and will try that.
thanks for your help, I have also tried putting the truck on jackstands and turning the wheel to get the air out. Still just builds up pressure in the reservoir.

Quick Reply: 2004 Air in Power steering pump