2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front Vent Tube Leaking Gear Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 AM
jcw3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Vent Tube Leaking Gear Oil

I have a 99 Dodge Dakota that started leaking gear oil out of the front vent tube after a 4x4 trip about 1 year ago. It normally only happens when I drive 65+ or on long trips. I thought there was a chance I had water in my front end, so I changed the fluid and added synthetic per recommendations on here.

Within a week the same problem started to happen again. I have watched it now for 5 weeks, and its seems to seap out regularly.

I have the factory Front End cover and filled just below the hole. Some said it could be overfilled, but again it has been dripping out the vent tube for weeks now.

Any recommendations? Could it be a bad bearing? Bad Vent Tube? Bad Vent Valve?

I am thinking about replacing the tube and valve and if that dont work, might have to rig up a bottle to catch the excess gear oil, so it does not keep dripping down over the frame and near my front rotors.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:29 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine used to do the same thing but only on really hot days and one day it just stopped when it did do this it was a big mess I had gear oil all over my engine compartment and the bad part was since I have skid plates it was either a. take the skid off or b. take the driver side wheel off just to check the level. I was told it could be a clogged vent tube.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:01 AM
jcw3

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Mine used to do the same thing but only on really hot days and one day it just stopped when it did do this it was a big mess I had gear oil all over my engine compartment and the bad part was since I have skid plates it was either a. take the skid off or b. take the driver side wheel off just to check the level. I was told it could be a clogged vent tube.
I am in the same situation as you. I have skid plates, so its either take the 10 minutes it takes to get the plates off, which are now freshly oiled with gear oil or fish my fat arm through the side, with has never worked out well for me.

Everything looks good when I changed the front end oil, but its still leaking and a few drops of gear oil sure does make a big mess when it sprays over the engine department. I have been cleaning it up once a week, but even then its all over the place and has that distinctive smell of gear oil.

This leaky vent sure has me puzzled. I to have read it could be a clogged vent tube, but my vent pours GEAR oil out, so I am not sure how it could be clogged and still allowing gear oil to leak out. Maybe I am over thinking this problem.

Last edited by jcw3; 04-27-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I looked at it this was as long as it didnt get too low it was a good thing cause I had oil on my frame and so far not a speck of rust haha I used to use engine gunk once or twice a month and just degrease everything but I havent had a problem with it for about 8 months now.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:25 PM
keniso

Hi!! had the same problem, with my 1997 cc . Took it to the dealers, they took everything apart, pull the axles, etc. and check the bearing and wheel bearing as well. no wear on. them, cleaned vent tube etc. them put back original mopar oil back. in
haven't blow out yet. it seem to corrected it with original oil. before they looked at it my friend replaced to front oil not sure which brand, probably bulk oil and it blew it out right away, so the dealer mechanic said it was the oil. only cost me acouple beers and lunch. yea. Hope this helps

Old 01-02-2012, 04:10 PM
orbust

There is a service bulletin for this issue. The replacement part number for the vent at the top of the tube is 52070409AA.

Technical Service Bullitin
Reference Number(s) 03-04-99, Date of issue :June 4, 1999
DIFFERENTIAL LUBRICANT IS WEEPING OUT OF THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL VENT
Model(s):1997-1999 Dodge (AN) Dakota
1998-1999 (DN) Durango
Group Axle & Propshaft
Bulittin No.: 03-04-99
Date June 4, 1999
OVERVIEW
This bullitin involves installing a differential canister vent in the front differential vent hose.
NOTE: BULLITIN APPLIES TO 4X4 VEHICLES
SYMPTOM/CONDITION
Differential lubricant is weeping from the front differential vent tube.

Quick Reply: Front Vent Tube Leaking Gear Oil