2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

i need sereous help!!!!! starter dont energize

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:45 AM
luckydodge420
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need sereous help!!!!! starter dont energize

i need some one to stick with me on this pleas i dont wanna give up i thought the starter was bad in my 04 dakota 4x4 so i replaced it i got a new one it works i got it tested but when u turn the key nothing happends the problem i belive is on the control wire that comes off the starter i checked fuses and relays but there all fine i took the steering coulm cover off to look at the ignition switch but i dont know exsaktly what to look for i dont know what a bad ignition switch looks like or how to test it or if thats even the problem also when u turn the key on the lights and radio will work but the digital mileage odemeter and such dose not come on is that part of the same problem?? do these trucks have and emrgency cut off switchs like if it were in a accedent pleas any help would be apricheated

Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the battery terminals for corrosion and also that they are tight.

If that checks good, get a meter and check for a voltage drop from the power wire to the starter, and also check the ground cables.
Based on your post it sounds like a bad battery cable, but It's hard to tell because you have no punctuation and everything is written as is if said in one giant breath.

You say when you turn the key the radio and light comes on, but the dash ODO does not. What happens when you go to start the truck? does everything turn off and click or does the radio and everything stay on?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:53 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

yes, there is an E.S.D. on these trucks that you can by-pass by introducing a ground to the relay under the hood. I actually recently ran across this same problem with someone stranded on the side of the road in a durango. after looking for a min I realized her engine was locked up and therefore the starter would energize but wouldn't turn over. See if you can spin your belts by hand.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:35 AM
luckydodge420

i jumped out some like ignition box thing on the left side of the sterring coulum and not really meaning to got the truck to start but once i take off my jummpers it shuts off. the odomiter and stuff comes on when its started

Old 05-10-2010, 08:04 AM
luckydodge420

it will turn over but after jumping out this little black box on the left side of the stearing colum i belive its the ignition switch. do u know where this esd is located

Quick Reply: i need sereous help!!!!! starter dont energize