2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front End Howl

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Craigloe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Howl

I have a 2001 Dakota 4X4 club cab. I have two problems which I have not been able to identify as of yet. Firstly when I drive this down the road, no matter what speed, I have a very loud Howl or roar. If I make a hard left turn it stops until the truck goes straight again. I don't know where to start with this one.
Secondly, my 4X4 won't engage, no matter what I do, fuses are all checked and good.
Can anyone please give me some ideas?
Thanks

Old 05-12-2010, 07:29 PM
zanethan
Veteran

As for the howl it sounds like a bad CV axle they tend to do that what they go bad. I'm not sure about the 4x4 tho.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Craigloe
Default CV

I just removed the CV joint and axel to find the howl. Replaced the bearing too.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Bassmickster

Having same front end issue with my 2002 SXT. I changed out my front wheel hub bearing assemblies last year when they started to go (heavier than usual vibration and low howl as though "big tire" noise). Wheel bearing replacement fixed it. Now 8K later I've replaced outer tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints (used Moogs with grease nipples) and KYB shocks. Also pulled sway bar and re-did the rubber bushings. After re-alignment a new vibration/ howl has returned. While I had it all apart I noticed one of my seemingly new (year old) wheel bearings was a bit rough; I think I should have replaced it then. Anyway, I didn't and now wish I had. I just ordered Timkens today rather than the bargain priced ones. This time I'm going to pull the half shaft (my howl is on the right) and check for excessive wear.

One question I have is related to your problem: those CV joints. I used a puller that put lot of stress on my joints trying to remove my old bearings. I'm learning that it's not a good idea to kink those CV joints back. Better to drive the bearings out without loading up on the drive shaft, but not sure how to. They can be very stubborn with corrosion. All the pullers I've seen push on the end of the shaft.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had the same problem with my truck it was the bearing hub assembly I had the same problems with the howling and when I turned right it went away and then as soon as the wheel was straight it came back

Quick Reply: Front End Howl