2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

engine bogs down under accel. and steering full lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:41 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default engine bogs down under accel. and steering full lock

well its happened a few times from a stop i will accelarate normaly and it will not go past 1500rpms and just bog down, then as soon as it starts it quits and is normal. and also in Park if i turn the wheel full lock it stumble under 500 rmps. related issues? help me out

edit: plugs, iac, tb, all clean, and no vaccume leaks i know of.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:46 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think the two are related. turning wheel at full lock you're trying to run the pump and rack against it self. it has no where to go so it just does all it can to try which will bog it down. Now the other issue sounds like it could either be a fuel delivery issue, or a ignition issue. Id test the fuel pump first.

Disconnect neg battery cable. Release fuel pressure by removing the fuel pump relay from the distribution center. Then start and run your truck till it stalls. Install a fuel pressure gauge with hose on fuel pressure test port. reconnect fuel pump relay.
start engine and allow it to reach operating temperature. Fuel pressure should be 44.2-54.2 PSI (3.1-3.8kg/cm2) If pressure is not good check for kinked or dmged fuel line. If pump isnt putting out enough and you cant find a kink or dmged hose, let me know and i'll tell you how to check the amperage, volume, and pressure leakdown tests. Anyway, thats somewhere you can start..

Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so i'm bringing this back from the dead. it happend again yesterday. at a stop light i had the worst idle ever under 500 sounded like sh*it. then i try to accelerate away and rpms stuck a 2grand and 25mph, still sounding like crap and now power.....going to try to rent a fuel pressure test kit today.

Quick Reply: engine bogs down under accel. and steering full lock