2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Drivetrain problem after mudding

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:12 PM
98DakotaSLT
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain problem after mudding

hey guys,

went mudding (more like boating) yesterday, lots of fun, spent afew hours at it. on the way home it wanted to cut out in second gear (i thought maybe just alittle water in the carb and it would sort itself out) when i got home i washed underneath my truck as well as the engine bay and suspension/steering components to avoid any problems.

when i went for a drive today, the engine still wants to cut out and come back on between 1500 and 2000rpm in second and third gear, yet not in first (havent really experimented with 4th or fith).

i avoid this by shifting late out of first so id get into second above 2000rpm, when i do this there is no issue

the truck runs perfect except for this...

truck has a 318 and a 5 speed

any ideas?

action shot...

Old 06-08-2010, 12:40 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh yeah looks like you had a little run in with water lol im guessing something got wet and is still wet or shorted out maybe tps sensor? I had a problem with my woods jeep had mud/water up to the middle of my door started to idle at about 100-200 rpms yes that low lol and I messed with all the sensors and couldnt find a problem went out sunday and it started up and idled at 800 rpms like nothing ever happened so what I would do is let it sit in the sun for awhile problem might cure itself up but maybe not. You didnt say anything about a cel so I assume you are not getting one?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 AM
98DakotaSLT
Rookie

nope never tripped the cel. also, it does not cut out when I drive 'gently' haha so maybe it is the tps. is there something mechanical that could cause this? we'll see if anything else becomes noticable today...

Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 PM
98DakotaSLT
Rookie

update: still cuts out in 2nd 3rd and 4th(checked today, most likely 5th too), yet not first. there seems to be a real lack of power until around 3000rpm. the truck is running really rich and im going through gas alot faster.

possibly unrealated event: my temp gage went from normal all the way up to the red zone and back down to normal in a matter of 5 seconds. it tripped the check gauges light wich then went off afterwords.

problem has got to be electrical as it is intermittent.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Lee Snow
Professional
Default Speaking of Tranny's...

My truck feels like i hit a cat every time i shift. Today it threw me up out of the seat when I put it in drive...

It seems to happen more when the truck is not hot... I checked the fluid and it was a little low so I filled it up but it didn't help any.

Anyone got ideas?

Edit... I actually thought I was posting a new thread and don't know how to delete this... Sorry! lol

Last edited by Lee Snow; 06-08-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:32 AM
98DakotaSLT
Rookie

how would i go about changing the tps, i know where it is etc. but is a computer reset in order?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DakotaSLT
how would i go about changing the tps, i know where it is etc. but is a computer reset in order?
Do you have a volt meter if you do you can test it before you get a new one. They say to disconnect the battery before you replace it but I just did one on my moms grand cherokee and left the batt hooked up and just replaced the sensor and its working great.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:59 PM
98DakotaSLT
Rookie

i replaced the tps and cleaned out the throttle body, yet it still wants to cut out in any gear including neautral at around 1500rpm, it starts to buck hard if i dont get out of that rpm while driving

Old 06-13-2010, 02:14 AM
Auron
Veteran

if you have a manual is it the shifter thats bucking

Quick Reply: Drivetrain problem after mudding