2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

5.9L Dak feels underpowered - Where to start with power mods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Bob The Great
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thumper51
Bob , maybe the tell tale sign you had when you test drove the truck could have saved you a lot of money and aggravation . Chances are ,the truck was over driven and or poorly driven in simple terms,Beat !.If I test drive a vehicle ,I always loo for the power, if the vehicle feels sluggish or non-responisve , I look else where. In my early years,I made the same mistake, one that will ever be duplicated ! Since you need to correct this issue,you should open you exhaust , modified TB , cold air intake , and then a Tuner , from almost everyone on the forum , they go with a Superchip Tuner . With that being done,you should get some added power , quikethrottle response and better gas mileage !
That may be, but I still love the truck, and I've got it now, so I've got to deal with it. I did do a fairly throurough mechanical inspection prior to buying it, because I really hate buying someone else's problems. Had I turned up any actual issues, I would've insisted they be fixed before I purchase or gone elsewhere.

But it didn't. Aside from being less peppy than my last truck, there was nothing mechanically wrong with it that I could find. So I made a judgement call, and I don't regret it (hopefully, I will not eat those words).

I still think I can get to where I want to be power-wise with some mods, unless anyone has any further fix-it suggestions to try. I had always planned on a good exhaust system anyway, and I'l start the research into an intake, TB and Superchip.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:03 AM
ccrunner
Veteran

Same with my 5.9 QC 4x4. Up till about 6 months ago it would spin the tires effortlessly. Now they won't even chirp going uphill.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Bob The Great

Originally Posted by ccrunner
Same with my 5.9 QC 4x4. Up till about 6 months ago it would spin the tires effortlessly. Now they won't even chirp going uphill.
Really? Now that's interesting. That makes me think there's something wrong again. If your identical 5.9 used to have enough torque to spin all four, then mine should be capable of doing so as well. As of now, it most certainly cannot break the tires loose, even from a stop in the rain.

Is your 4x4 full-time AWD or part-time? 3.55's or 3.92's? And did you notice a sudden drop in power or was it a gradual degradation?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honeslty I think it's just the weight. AWD and a QC weigh a LOT more. Especially if your last truck was a regular cab. Your looking at 1000 lbs more weight with just a slight increase in power.

The 5.9s aren't all that powerful, especially when put behind the 46re. I think your truck is fine. The 5.2 makes just 25 hp less and that truck weighed a thousand pounds less. It's simple power to weight ratio. Especially since you're AWD. That soaks up even more power.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:43 AM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Honeslty I think it's just the weight. AWD and a QC weigh a LOT more. Especially if your last truck was a regular cab. Your looking at 1000 lbs more weight with just a slight increase in power.
Is it really 1k lbs?

Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between a RC and QC? Yeah its close... I was trying to look for the numbers earlier but couldn't find the exact numbers. I'll try looking again.

Think about it, twice the cab, extra t-case, drive shaft, front diff, half shafts, torsion bar suspension as opposed to just springs, ect. It all adds up.

EDIT: I found on Edmunds, a regular cab is 3641lbs and the QC is just shy of 4500 at 4484 lbs. So that's 843 lbs. that has to be moved by 25 extra hp and 45ft/lbs of torque...

Last edited by bpark8824; 06-14-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Bob The Great

That very well could be. I just thought it was interesting that someone else with almost exactly the same truck is capable of more.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:12 AM
ccrunner
Veteran

I'm talking in 2wd. Rain is no problem at all. Use to when I launched on dry pavement I could spin for a second or two, now there is 0 spin. And don't tell me the 5.9 isn't all that powerful, 335 torque throws you off the line hard, I've yet to be beaten off the line by anything but track camaros and vettes.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Bob The Great

Originally Posted by ccrunner
I'm talking in 2wd. Rain is no problem at all. Use to when I launched on dry pavement I could spin for a second or two, now there is 0 spin. And don't tell me the 5.9 isn't all that powerful, 335 torque throws you off the line hard, I've yet to be beaten off the line by anything but track camaros and vettes.
That could be the difference. Mine is full-time AWD, which definitely saps a bit more torque. I found that out on my AWD Stealth.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 AM
ccrunner
Veteran

Does it really sap the torque? Or does it just seem like it because the tires don't spin?

Quick Reply: 5.9L Dak feels underpowered - Where to start with power mods?