2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:36 AM
SpencerS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Head Gasket

Can a 4.7 pass smog in california with a blown headgasket?

I was showing my truck to a person looking to buy it and he said the Headgasket for the exhaust manifold was blown yet no more than 2 weeks ago it passed smog.

He noticed that there was a tick coming from the exhaust and it ticks faster with the rev of the engine, yet it goes away after its all warmed up.

On a side note ,im kinda pissed off cause this guy was an *******. Didnt even thank me for wasting 2 hours of mine, and driving about 25 miles up and down the freeway, hammering it at the stoplights, then leting his son do the same thing. and he tryed to lay some bull**** on me, like the tranny was going when obviously it wasnt(got it rebuilt 20kmiles ago), and because my truck was originally from canada, and that im the 3rd owner, that it automaticlly was in hurricane katrina and sat under 30 feet of water for a week or two. Freaking people!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:59 AM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people will say weird stuff to save a buck. any how, i have gone through 4 manifold gaskets in 180k miles, 1 on the left bank and 3 on the right. i rolled through emissions with one bad one a couple of years ago and they didnt say anything about it. at the same time, california has way more strict laws on smog than wisconsin does.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:03 PM
SpencerS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he made it sound like the whole truck was a piece of crap lol. He offered me 2 grand for my truck down from 4700 kbb value in fair condition. I just got in my truck and drove off lol didnt even say anything

Old 06-12-2010, 12:06 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what a douchbag. and that tick that you hear is just a the lifters, most of us have that same thing but it goes away after about 20 seconds of idle.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket